Chapter 29

One morning, Harry was sitting at his desk, looking over reports from the Auror teams that were investigating the New Death Eaters case. He was just finishing perusing the third file when the door to his office suddenly burst open and a disheveled Ron Weasley came flying into the room.

"Harry, have you heard?" Ron said loudly, making Harry jump.

"I think the whole Ministry heard you, Ron." Harry grumbled, breathing deeply and grabbing his quill slightly tighter. Sudden noises and Apparitions were still making him feel uncomfortable.

"Remember the Death Eater we managed to take back with us?" Ron said, ignoring Harry's grumble.

"The one Malfoy almost killed? What about him?" Harry said, looking up at Ron, now paying full attention to the conversation.

"He was found dead half an hour ago." Ron said with a grimace.

"WHAT?!" Harry shouted.

He sprang to his feet and slapped both hands on top of the desk, making the papers shuffle from the sudden gush of air.

"How? What happened?" he asked Ron, his green eyes glinting with anger.

"This morning the Healers sent us a message saying he was slowly starting to gain consciousness. They were even hopeful me might be able to talk today, but half an hour later I received their owl saying he was found dead." Ron finished, flopping onto a chair in front of Harry's desk. He looked tired and gaunt, like he hadn't been sleeping well.

"But how can this be?" Harry mumbled to himself, starting to pace in front of Ron. "We had Aurors watching him, trying to prevent this from happening."

"That means the Death Eaters managed to get past our security. It wouldn't be the first time, after all Harry." Ron said grimly.

Harry nodded, a deep frown appearing on his forehead. He had to agree with Ron. After the fiasco at the party, when the small group of Death Eaters attacked them, they had taken every precautionary measure to keep their men safe, as well as the only enemy they had who could possibly give them some answers. And now he was dead, and they were left standing in the dark, again.

Harry cursed, pushing his fingers through his hair. He stopped his pacing and turned to look at Ron, a determined expression on his face.

"This is not good. I want to speak to the Aurors who were in charge with the watch. Perhaps they saw something that might help us." Harry spoke quickly. Ron nodded in response, getting up and ready to leave. "And Ron" Harry continued suddenly. "make sure no one else hears about this. Let's keep it between ourselves as much as possible."

Ron nodded again and left the office, closing the door with a loud bang. Harry let out a deep breath and went to his chair, sitting down wearily. Things were really not going well. He was in dire need of good news.

He picked up the next file from his desk and started reading it unenthusiastically. His mind was thinking fervently about the newest developments when a loud crack came from the middle of his office and Draco materialized in front of him.

"Bloody hell!" Harry yelped, this time grabbing his wand and leaping to his feet in an instant.

At the sight of Draco Malfoy he lowered his wand and took in a deep breath. He glared at the blonde man, who was standing in front of him. Draco was breathing heavily as if he ran miles on end. His eyes though were glittering with excitement and he was grasping a bunch of scrolls in one hand, the other holding his wand.

Harry was too annoyed to pick up on Draco's mood. He flopped onto his chair again, frowning at the papers in front of him.

"What is it with everybody today?! First Ron almost knocks down my office door giving me bad news and now you show up from nowhere and..." Harry stopped his rambles, just then noticing the wide grin appearing on Draco's face and the scrolls he was gripping in his hand.