Chapter 24

The week Hermione and Draco spent together was a blissful time. Draco was careful to keep her away from any stressful subjects, while she allowed herself the time to simply enjoy his company. Even though they never spent the night together, Draco made sure she took her potions before going to bed. Then he would leave for the night, only to come back first thing in the morning with something to eat or a treat for Crookshanks. Indeed the poor cat was growing so fond of Draco that whenever he was not around he would desperately try to go out onto the terrace and across the balcony. Hermione was cautious of this behavior and kept the wards in place, preventing her ginger cat to go outside.

All the while, no one interrupted their time together, except for the occasional visits from Harry and Ginny, as well as Blaise checking up on Hermione and her treatment. Theo had been too busy with work, trying to find out about who could have gotten past the Hogwarts wards that night at the party, that he wasn't able to call on them at all.

The days passed by very quickly, or so they seemed. Between lunches and dinners, books and TV shows, the two had spent a delightful week. It was now Sunday, and tomorrow they would both have to go back to work.

"But I don't want to." Hermione whined.

Draco had just reminded her what day it was and in reply she threw a slipper at him. She was now curled up on the couch with a book in one hand, her free hand fumbling for the other slipper. Without being fazed by her 'weapon' of choice, Draco caught the slipper and strode towards the couch. He placed the slipper back on the floor beside the other one, making sure to place them slightly farther away from her reach.

"I didn't know Gryffindors were lazy and didn't like the work." He drawled, getting up to his feet and giving her a smirk.

"Well this one is, as of today." Hermione said with a huff. "I quite liked this time off, being able to do some of the things I never got to. Relaxing and just being able to breathe felt good." She stopped, looking far into the distance, a melancholic smile on her lips.

Draco leaned down and ruffled her hair, snapping her out of her reverie. She scowled at him and was just about to swat him with the book when an owl came swooping down the window and perching itself on a shelf. Its beautiful white feathers seemed to glow in the light of the room and its amber eyes looked around majestically.

"Harry!" Hermione exclaimed, scrambling out of the couch, hurrying towards the owl.

"What?" Draco asked in confusion. For an instant he actually looked around, thinking he might see Harry Potter coming out from some corner of the room.

"This is his owl." Hermione replied distractedly. "I wonder why he is writing so late."

Draco followed her and watched as she unfolded the letter. It wasn't long and it seemed to have been written in a hurry.

Hermione, and Malfoy because I know you are probably there as well,

At that Draco smirked.

"You're damn right I am!" he said under his breath.

"Shush!" Hermione admonished. Her eyes were frantically perusing the letter, trying to read it as fast as possible.

We got one! We finally managed to catch one of the men belonging to this newly established Death Eater group! One of the teams we sent was able to retrieve him from a hiding place. The strange thing is that he was alone at the time. There were no other people around. At first I thought that to be very strange, since I know they only stay in groups, but after I have seen the guy myself I think I understand why he was left behind. The guy is mental! He speaks gibberish and does not make any sense. He doesn't even know his name or why he was where we found him.