Chapter 20

When Draco came through, he was lying on a hospital bed in a small and almost empty room. Still feeling drowsy, he flung his legs over the bed and sat there for a couple of minutes, trying to remember what had happened. Then, the image of Blaise stunning him came rushing in front of his eyes. Anger and frustration rose in his chest and he checked his pockets for his wand, but it was no use. It appeared that the healers who placed him there, afraid of another one of his outbursts, took his wand when they left.

Draco let out a curse and started pacing the room. He knew that without his wand it was useless to yell or bang his fists against the door. All he had to do was wait for someone to come and get him and his bet was on Blaise being the one.

Sure enough, half an hour later the door opened, and Blaise strode inside the room. He gave Draco an examining gaze and feeling satisfied with his friend's looks, he pulled a wand out of his robes.

"Here!" Blaise said, throwing Draco back his wand.

"Thanks." Draco said grudgingly, catching the wand out of the air and pocketing it quickly as if afraid someone might take it away again.

"Now" Blaise said leaning against the doorframe, "do you think you can take a step out of this room without killing anyone?"

"I make no promises." Draco snarled, frowning at his friend.

"Draco I'm serious!" Blaise snapped. "I won't let you out of here unless you promise me you'll behave."

"I'm not a child, Blaise." Draco said with a frustrated huff. "How is she?" he added before Blaise could say anything.

With one look at Draco, Blaise realized it was of no use trying to reason with him. There was one thing on his mind at the moment and that was Hermione Granger, and nothing could dissuade him from it. He let out a deep sigh and pushed against the doorframe, coming face to face with Draco.

"She's sleeping now."

"I want to see her." Draco said simply, frown still in place.

"And you will. I will take you to her now, but..." he added quickly, pressing a hand on Draco's chest just as he was trying to push past him. "You have to keep calm. She needs rest Draco, and you yelling and making an uproar won't help her recovery. That, and probably Potter will murder you if you act like a lunatic again." Blaise finished with a grin.

"I would like to see him try." Draco said, returning the grin.

Blaise chuckled and went out of the room, closely followed by a very impatient Draco. It took every ounce of self-control not to run on the corridor in order to get to Hermione's ward quicker. A few moments later, Blaise stopped in front of a door and turned to look at Draco.

"This is it. Now, remember you have to stay quiet and calm." Blaise said before sliding the door open and stepping aside allowing Draco a full view of the room.

The ward was big enough for one person to feel comfortable and not have the feeling of being caged inside. Hermione's bed was on the far end of the room, a tall window looming over it. Draco hesitated for a second before taking a step inside. He felt Blaise following him and placing a hand on his shoulder.

"I'll leave you alone with her for a few minutes. Potter and the others should be back soon." Blaise said quietly.

Draco simply nodded. He took a deep breath and walked slowly until he reached Hermione. She looked so peaceful, sleeping so serenely, he thought. He conjured a chair and sat beside her bed and stared at her. A second later he heard the sound of the door closing, signaling Blaise had left. Without looking away from Hermione's face, he raised his hand and gently brushed a strand of hair from her forehead, allowing his fingers to wander on her skin.

"I'm sorry." He whispered softly, taking in her features and feeling comforted by the calmness and constancy of her breathing.

He then took her hand in his, covering it protectively. Without thinking much about what he was doing, Draco raised her hand and placed a feather like kiss on her fingers. At the touch, Hermione stirred but did not wake up. Looking down at her arm, Draco noticed her sleeve slid upward, revealing her skin.

Draco froze for a second as his eyes fell on her exposed forearm. There, on her pale skin, he could see the ugly scar, the mark his aunt had left her with, starring up at him accusingly. It made Draco's insides turn and he almost dropped her arm. With a surge of anger, he willed himself against it, steeling himself against the guilt that was eating him alive. Even though every bit of him screamed he was not allowed to hold her hand or even touch her, he stubbornly held her hand, taking courage from her warmth.

***

Hermione was unaware of her surroundings, she didn't know where she was as darkness engulfed her mind and body. For a while she felt pain, hot searing pain, but then it stopped. Now she didn't feel anything except for uneasiness. She looked around, trying to peer through the darkness. She took a step forward, uncertain of her surroundings, then a blinding light hit her eyes, making her stumble backwards.

Squinting her eyes, Hermione looked around and saw herself in a small clearing, nothing but forest all around her. She was alone, quite alone, but then voices came from behind the trees that surrounded the glade. As if she remembered something she had forgotten, she wasn't afraid anymore, she felt courageous and determined to fight. Raising her wand she waited for the voices' owners to appear.

Next thing she knew, she was surrounded by at least five figures, all dressed in black robes and wearing masks. They were all sneering and laughing at her. She fought them but they were too much for her. A second later she was falling to the ground and a figure was hovering above her. The man smelled of dirt and blood and he was staring down at her with intense eyes, but for some reasons she couldn't see them. He was talking to her, gently telling her something, but she couldn't hear him. Then she felt pain again, before succumbing again to the darkness.

With a jolt Hermione woke up, her eyes snapping open, her breathing rapid. She threw a quick glance around, trying to fight the urge to close her eyes against the light. With a breath of relief she realized she was in a hospital ward, safely laying on a bed. She tried to move but something was pressing against her hand. When she looked down she saw someone resting his head on her bed, tightly holding her hand. His blond hair was spread, covering half of his face. He was breathing slowly, and he looked so peaceful that Hermione continued to stare at him for a few moments, not wanting to move for fear of waking him up.

Slowly raising her other hand, Hermione gently pushed his hair aside, revealing his pale features. Despite appearing to sleep peacefully, Draco had a slight frown on his forehead and his eyes were tightly shut. Gently and slowly, Hermione placed one finger against the crease on his forehead, trying to chase his frown away.

What is he dreaming about, I wonder? Hermione thought, a small smile appearing on her lips.

At her touch, Draco's eyes snapped open and his head jerked up so quickly he felt pain at the back of his neck.

"You're awake." He said in a raspy voice.

Hermione simply nodded, still smiling down at him. She moved her fingers against his hold slightly and that made Draco look down in shock. He realized he was still holding her hand and he immediately let go, too busy feeling guilty and not noticing the look of sadness Hermione gave him as his touch left her hand.

Thank you all for reading this story. Did Hermione's dream intrigued you? ;) Stay tuned for the next chapters to see what happens. Until then, have a wonderful day! ^_^ <3