Chapter 6

Hermione entered her flat and carefully placed Crookshanks on the floor. She let out a shacky breath, pressing a hand on her chest. For some reason, Draco's words and expression made her feel very uncomfortable. For the first time she felt almost scared of him. She shook her head quickly, trying to clear her mind. His words hurt her more than she dared to admit. All this time she had tried to be nice, to get to know him, but apparently he did not want anything to do with her.

"So, how did it go with your gorgeous neighbor?" Ginny's voice snapped Hermione back to reality.

Due to the shock, she had momentarily forgotten that she had visitors. Harry and Ginny came to see her, wanting to make sure she was not feeling lonely. At Ginny's words, Harry looked at Hermione intently. He had told Ginny all about his conversation with Malfoy and now it was the first time he was seeing Hermione after he found out about what happened in the past.

"I think he was really upset this time." Hermione said airily, trying to sound casual, but Harry quickly picked up on the hurt in her voice. "I really don't understand why Crookshanks is doing this."

"Maybe he likes Malfoy." Ginny snickered, earning a small frown from Harry. "I'm sure he wasn't that upset, Hermione. Maybe you just caught him in a bad mood." She added quickly, seeing Hermione's pensive look.

"Well, I think you should just stay away from him entirely." Harry piped up, clearing his throat, stubbornly avoiding Hermione's curious look.

"Yes, you've kept telling me that several times now. Why, if I may ask, must I stay away from him?" she asked Harry, frowning slightly.

"Because... well because he's a git, that's why." Harry finished with a nod.

"But you've never met him." Hermione said exasperatedly.

"I don't have to. What kind of name is Draco Malfoy anyway? It's a stupid name and he is a stupid bloke." Harry concluded with a huff, avoiding to look at any of the girls.

"Harry!" Hermione said sharply. "You're being unfair and rude."

"Yes, and a bit silly if you ask me." Ginny said, looking at him pointedly.

"Anyway, let's talk about something else." Harry said quickly, sensing the dangerous grounds he was treading on. "Is everything ready for the house-warming party on Saturday?"

"Ah yes, I wanted to ask you." Hermione said, suddenly forgetting all about Draco Malfoy. "Have you written to Neville? Is he coming?"

"Yes. He and Dean and Seamus are all coming." Harry nodded with a smile.

"Luna and Cho as well." Ginny said.

"Perfect. Ron and Lavender have written back saying they might run a little late, but they will be sure to come." Hermione said contently.

She remained silent for a moment, thinking how excited she was to see all her friends. Harry and Ron, now full-time Aurors and colleagues, together with Ginny, were a constant presence in her life, but she had not seen the rest in almost two years.

The newest addition to her closest circle of friends was Lavender Brown. They were never very close while at Hogwarts, but since Ron had started going out with Lavender, Hermione slowly changed her opinion about her. The girl had changed much since the war and was still getting accustomed to being a werewolf after Greyback had bitten her during the Battle of Hogwarts. Ron's family, especially Bill, had helped her a lot during the first months, and soon after that, Ron started having real feelings for her. At first, Hermione had been surprised to know about their relationship, but she soon warmed up to the idea. The same went for the Weasleys, who eventually welcomed Lavender into their family.