Chapter 17

The castle was ready for the party, and teachers, Ministry officials and former students swarmed inside looking around in awe. They all seemed impressed with the ornaments and preparations that had been made. The great hall was unrecognizable, and it appeared bigger than before. Lots of round tables were pushed near the walls, while the middle space was covered with white marble, representing the dance-floor. People were bustling about, greeting each other and waving at friends they haven't seen in years. Others shouted each other's names, happily embracing one another.

Hermione and Draco soon found the others at a table in the corner.

"You look beautiful!" Ginny exclaimed, hugging Hermione tightly.

"You too, Ginny." Hermione smiled widely at her friend.

Ginny was really looking gorgeous in her bright blue dress, that matched Harry's tie.

"And you, Lavender" Hermione turned towards the other girl, you look stunning as well. That mauve color fits you perfectly."

Lavender smiled gratefully and gave Hermione a hug in return.

Both Harry and Ron nodded in agreement, grinning sheepishly. Neither one was good at giving compliments to women, so they learned it was best to keep quiet and smile. They both chose to match their partners' dresses, wearing blue and mauve ties. Blaise and Theo both looked dashing as well. They went for matching outfits with Blaise dressed in a black suit with a white tie, while Theo had a superb white suit on, with a black tie.

After half an hour of people meeting and greeting the music finally started, and Draco suddenly perked up.

"Would you like to dance?" he asked Hermione with a smirk.

"It would be my pleasure." she smiled widely.

They went on the dance floor and started twirling elegantly along the music. Hermione had to admit that Draco was a wonderful dancer. He gracefully lead them between dancing couples, all the while looking down at her with an intense gaze. His grey eyes were boring into hers, making her breath catch in her throat. She felt herself blush under his stare and was just about to tell him to stop when a voice interrupted them.

"Mind if I interrupt?" someone said in a pronounced Scottish accent.

"Yes!" Draco growled at the man.

"No." Hermione said in the same time, giving Draco an admonishing look.

She took the outstretched hand and they started dancing. Draco retreated at the edge of the dance floor, glaring at everyone who was coming anywhere near him.

"What made you look so warm and welcoming, Malfoy?" Harry mocked, stopping next to Draco and shoving a glass of firewiskey in his hand.

"Yeah, you look like someone stole your favorite toy or something." Ron said with a smirk.

Draco took the glass from Harry and only grumbled something that sounded like "bloody prat" and "git", then gestured with his head towards the dance floor. Harry and Ron both turned to look and saw Hermione gracefully gliding on the dancefloor with none other than the redhead Scottish Auror Robert McKinley.

"Ha!" Ron let out a snort, then quickly transformed it into a cough when he saw the deathly look Draco was giving him.

"Don't worry, Malfoy. She doesn't like redheads anymore." Harry said with a grin, then clinked his glass against Malfoy's.

Ron didn't seem to have understood Harry's words, but Draco had. He gave Harry a puzzled look, but before he could say anything, Ginny came and whisked her husband onto the dancefloor. Draco looked after them and noticed Hermione smiling and blushing, while McKinley leaned closer to her. With a low grumble, Draco gulped down his firewiskey, not once taking his eyes off them.