Chapter 11

And now the 'Crash' will be elucidated :)) Enjoy!

Draco and Hermione fell to the ground, the books they were holding toppling down around them. During his fall, Draco dislodged a couple of books from the shelves, making them fall right on the top of his head. Hermione, meanwhile, had tried to lean against the rack behind her but managed to tilt it forward. The result was a bunch of books slowly sliding towards the edge.

With a jolt of panic, Draco saw the first two books falling, barely missing Hermione's face. Just as more were about to fall, he lurched upward and launched himself on top of Hermione, covering her head with his body. The hard tomes fell, and they hit his back and head with loud thuds.

"Ouch!" he yelped despite himself, causing Hermione to look up at him.

She let out a soft gasp and quickly pulled out her wand, making the books stop midair. Then with another swish she made the rack stand back in its proper place and the books slowly floated on their shelves.

Draco massaged the back of his head where the majority of tomes had hit him and was cursing his stupidity.

Bloody fool. Are you a wizard or what? Using your body instead of your wand. And you used to call the Weasel stupid.

While he was berating himself like that, he didn't notice Hermione approaching him.

"Are you alright?" she was asking him, leaning forward and watching his face curiously. She looked worried but also confused, probably wondering why he was there.

"Y-yes, I'm alright. I have a hard head so it's fine." He tried to joke, massaging his head vigorously.

"Are you sure?" Hermione insisted, slightly amused by his attitude.

"Yes, of course. This is nothing compared to a bludger." He said finally getting up. He held out a hand.

Hermione took it gently and got to her feet as well.

"Bludger? she asked, her eyes widening in surprise. "Then, I take it you used to play Quidditch?"

"Yes. The best seeker Slytherin ever had. " Draco grinned.

A second later his face fell.

Shit. I've said to much. Surely now she...

Hermione interrupted his internal berating with a giggle.

"Harry used to say the same thing about himself. 'The best seeker Griffindor ever had. The youngest in a century' and all that." She beamed up at him, then after a while gave him a strange look. "You know," she started slowly, staring at him intently, "it's quite frustrating that I can't seem to remember you from school."

"Trust me, you're not missing out on anything." Draco said quickly, looking away from her.

He busied himself with his books, picking them up by hand to have something to do, while Hermione was gazing at him. She was biting her lower lip, thinking intensely.

"I hope you don't take it the wrong way or think I am rude for not remembering." Hermione said quietly. "It's just that... well I had an accident three years ago and since then there have been things that I can't remember."

Draco froze, his back bent, hand reaching for the last book on the floor. He straightened his back slowly and looked at Hermione with a mixture of horror and defeat. It pained him to no end not to be able to tell her, but in the same time he knew it was better that way. Those memories weren't important, and she was happier without them.

"It's alright. You don't have to worry. I know about that and I could never think of you as being rude." He told her quietly, trying to put as much feeling into those words as he could dare.

"You know?!" she wondered out loud.

"Harry told me. You know, since we work together, we talk about stuff." He said apologetically.

"Ah yes, indeed." Hermione said sheepishly.

They slowly made their way back into the street, each grasping tightly the small stack of books they borrowed. They walked in silence, neither one daring to look at the other. When they reached their floor, Hermione turned to Draco.

"Are you sure you're alright? Those books seemed heavy." She said awkwardly.

"It's alright. I will ask Blaise to take a look when he comes back from the hospital. If anything is wrong, he'll patch me up in no time." Draco said confidently.

"Alright. Thank you for... you know... saving me out there." Hermione smiled at him.

"Yeah, you're welcome." Draco replied, rubbing the back of his head.

He let out a wince at the feel of tender pain. His head was throbbing slightly, and he thought about the potions he had in his room. Being an Auror made pain and injury somewhat of habitual friends. He therefore always had potions at hand, but seeing Hermione worry about him, even this slightly made him feel good.

They both entered their flats and Draco shook his head vigorously, letting out another wince in the process.

Stop being such a fool. She wasn't that worried about you.

"What's wrong with you?" Blaise spoke from behind Draco, making him jump.

"Nothing. Just pain induced by books." Draco said grinning.

Blaise gave him a puzzled look, then shook his head, not answering to that weird statement.

***

"So, what should we order? I'm starving!" Ginny exclaimed, putting down her bags and broom.

She came to Hermione's flat for a girl's night. They hadn't had one in weeks and since Harry was busy with preparing for his mission, Ginny decided to take Hermione up on her offer and drop by her place after Quidditch practice.

"I think you'd better take a shower first, Ginny." Hermione said, scrunching up her face. "I swear, I don't know how you stand getting so much mud on you."

"You can't be a great Quidditch player if you're not willing to get yourself dirty." Ginny said with a firm nod and a grin plastered on her face.

"If you say so, Ginny. Thank Merlin I am not a Quidditch player, then."

"No, you're right. You're much worse. You're a bookworm." Ginny teased. "How can you stand all that dust and smell of old books?!"

"Hey, old books smell fantastic." Hermione said defensively.

"If you say so." Ginny retorted. "I'm going to take a shower then. You'd better not fall asleep." She told Hermione warningly. "Don't forget you told me you're going to show me how that thing over there works." She finished, gesturing towards the TV. It was placed on a table near the fireplace and facing a small sofa. Hermione had indeed promised Ginny to watch TV with her on their girl's night.

As soon as Ginny went for the shower, Hermione turned on the TV, getting herself ready.

"Hmmm... if I need to stay awake until she comes back I should probably watch something angsty." Hermione mumbled, checking out her choices.

She eventually settled for a Korean drama she had started a long time ago but never got to finish. It was angsty and dramatic enough to keep her awake while Ginny got herself cleaned and ready for dinner. Several minutes into the drama and Hermione was already bawling, crying her eyes out, completely forgetting she hadn't placed silencing charms on her flat that evening.

Thank you all for reading this story! If you're curious what happens next, make sure to check out tomorrow's update. Have a wonderful day! ^^ <3