Chapter 23

Two days later Hermione was allowed to go home. Draco had stayed with her during the time she remained in the hospital, especially during the nights. 'The friend' Blaise did not object, and made sure to give his friend as much support as he needed. 'The Healer' Blaise was careful to give his patient enough Calming Draughts and Dreamless Potions to ensure good night sleeps.

"I suggest you make a habit out of taking one of each before you go to bed. At least for a time." Blaise told Hermione before she left the hospital.

She simply nodded, giving him a grateful smile and a "Thank you" before departing together with Harry and Ginny. Draco went ahead and was waiting for her when she arrived at her flat. Crookshanks meowed loudly when he saw her, clearly unhappy with being left all alone for so long.

At Harry and Ginny's loud protests that she stay at home for a few days longer, as well as Draco's silent stares, Hermione finally decided to take a week off from work.

"Alright, alright you lot. I'll stay put and rest. Happy?" she said, throwing her hands up in defeat.

Harry beamed at her, while Ginny rushed to give her a tight hug. Draco on the other hand, waited silently by the window for the couple to leave. When there was no one left but him and Hermione, he turned to face her.

"I'll leave you to rest." He said in a low voice.

"You don't have to. Maybe stay a little longer?" Hermione asked him, staring into his eyes.

There was something there she couldn't quite figure out. Ever since she woke up two days ago at the hospital and saw Draco by her side she felt him to be... weird. He acted strange and cold towards her, but in the same time he was attentive and careful to her every need. It baffled and annoyed her to no end.

"That won't be wise." He said shaking his head seriously. "You need your rest and I..." but he was cut off by Hermione, who had enough of his behavior.

"You what?" she snapped, crossing her arms and frowning at him. "You're afraid you'll tire me out with your attitude? Because if it's that, I can say you're quite right."

"Hermione" he said defensively but was cut off once again.

"Don't do this." Hermione breathed out in a warning tone, tightening the arms around her body as if to protect herself.

"Do what? What exactly am I doing?" Draco asked perplexed and slightly annoyed.

"This!" she shouted. "What you are doing now... you're distancing yourself. You're running away!" she finished scathingly, her eyes blazing with anger directed at him.

"What are you talking about? Why would I..."

"Because you regret it... because you regret kissing me." Hermione finally said wanting nothing else but to sob. Instead she clenched her jaws and remained still in front of him, boring into his eyes.

Draco remained silent and for a moment he forgot where he was or what he was doing. All he could think about was that night in the library when they got so close that he almost felt drunk. It was one of the happiest and treasured memories he had, and she was saying he regrets it? His mind finally jerked awake and he could see her, standing there in front of him, staring at him like she wanted nothing more than to murder him and he could only think about how much he cared for her, how much he even... loved her.

Part of him urged against it, his mind was desperately sending him signals to stop, but he ignored them all. In a second, Draco closed the distance between him and Hermione. He leaned down and looked into her beautiful brown eyes. He never would have imagined those eyes would ever look at him with anything other than contempt and disgust. Now, he saw fear and longing in them. With a swift move he brought her closer to him and brushed a strand of hair off her face, all the while boring into her eyes all his emotions and feelings, hoping she will see them.