Chapter 33

Draco wore a mask that covered half his face. What could be seen of his features seemed at the very best polite, but otherwise empty of emotion. His grey eyes though, were intensely fixated on Hermione's face, devouring her every feature.

"Sure. If the lady concedes." McKinley said.

When she saw Draco, Hermione had let out a soft gasp and was now unable to look away from him. She slowly released McKinley's hand and nodded.

"I will take that as my que to leave, then." The red-haired man said with a sheepish smile and left the dancefloor. He turned to give the couple one last glance, an expression of triumph flashing across his face for a short instant. It was gone as soon as it appeared, and no one seemed to have noticed it.

Hermione and Draco remained still for a moment, looking at each other. She took in his appearance and felt another shiver coursing through her body. He was handsome, so handsome. His dark green suit highlighted his pale complexion, making his eyes seem brighter. Draco soon snapped out of his daze and held out his hand. Hermione took it, visibly startled out of her thoughts. She felt a tremor when her fingers touched his skin. He felt so cold, yet so comfortable. They started dancing, swaying and twirling without saying anything, at first. Then the silence grew too heavy for Hermione, so she said the first thing that crossed her mind.

"I'm glad to see you here." she said, giving him a small, rather timid smile.

"Are you?" he drawled, his voice cold. He avoided her eyes. Instead, he gripped her more firmly around the waist.

"As a matter of fact, I am." She said, starting to become more confident.

His cold manner always made her lose her girlish and timid attitude. She was now staring up into his eyes and saw something flicker inside them, but it was gone before she could understand it.

"I thought you were rather enjoying yourself with your partner." He added soon afterwards, dipping her slowly and pulling her back up in one swift and elegant move.

"You are right to think so. I really did enjoy his company." Hermione said simply.

Because she avoided to look at him, she did not see the way his jaw clenched, but instead felt a hot raspy breath across her shoulder. She looked up and noticed Draco looming over her. His body was tensed up and he was holding her rather stiffly. His eyes were boring holes into her face, making her feel rather uncomfortable.

"Perhaps I shouldn't have interrupted then." Draco said coolly, suddenly releasing her hand and waist. "I apologize for my rudeness." He bowed and left Hermione standing on the dancefloor.

Hermione remained there, looking after him dumbfounded. No matter how much she thought of it, she could not understand what had just happened.

What in Merlin's name is wrong with him?

After leaving Hermione like that, Draco retreated into a salon, right across the ballroom. He felt his entire body shaking from anger and nerves. It had taken everything he had to control himself in front of her, but now all his emotions seemed to have exploded inside him. Seeing her dancing so gracefully with that Robert McKinley gave him physical pain. He thought it would be easy. 'Just stay away from her and everything will be alright.' he had told himself.

What a load of crap. He cursed inwardly, brushing a shaky hand through his neatly styled hair. It wasn't all right. Nothing was alright as long as Hermione was with someone else.

With a groan he leaned back against a wall, closing his eyes with a deep sigh. He was fighting off a turmoil of feelings and emotions.

***