Chapter 36

Harry's POV

    I feel like I'm having an outer body experience. I don't really know how else to describe it. I just watched Memphis, the girl I'm pretty sure I'm in love with, distract a man from shooting her brothers and possibly me, and take a bullet to the chest.

     I watch as her body gets hit and she falls backwards off the rink, her body making a strange sound as it thumps against the hardwood flooring. Next thing I know, I'm tackling Principal Sanders and knocking the gun from his hands.

    I don't even remember running over here or deciding that's what I'm going to do. It just happened, and I knew instinctively that I had to make Memphis safe. She wasn't safe with him standing here, able to shoot her again.

    Holy fuck, she was shot. My girlfriend was just fucking shot in front of me. I can't wrap my head around it. It's not real. This is not something that happens to people. This is what happens in movies, in books, in other fucking places.

    I grab the gun that slid away from Aiden, turn it around and hit him over the top of the head with it, knocking him out. His mouth was moving and I'm sure he was talking, but I couldn't hear him. I can't hear anything.

    Except the sound of the gun releasing that bullet and then impacting in Memphis. She didn't even fucking scream, she didn't make sound at all. Just dropped like a sack of potatoes, lifeless.

     Knox and Dickson are with Memphis so I jump down and run over to them. Dickson has his shirt taken off and is holding it over what I assume is the bullet hole in her chest. It has to be, his once white shirt is almost completely red now.

     It's nothing like in the movies either, in movies the blood is bright red. This is dark, almost a maroon color, and it's like her body just keeps spilling it out. And I know that's not good, she doesn't have an endless supply.

     Knox finally must realize im here and looks up at me. "Harry, call your dad."

     My dad? "What?" I ask, unable to understand what it is he wants me to do.

     "Call your dad, tell him what's happened. I'm sure someone else has already called, but if your dad knows you're here, I'm sure the police will respond better and the ambulance."

    I'm still standing here, not even knowing how I'm supposed to be able to call and tell my dad something like this. I'm still not sure this is real. This can't be real.

      "Harry!" Knox yells, jumping up and shoving me back. "Call your fucking dad before my fucking sister dies!"

     I feel like I've had the breath stolen out of my body. "She can't die. She can't."

     "I know, I know. She can't die, and that's why you need to get on your fucking phone and call your dad and tell him what's happened. He's good Harry, he'll know what to do, okay?"

    I nod, and reach into my back pocket, pulling my phone out. I scroll to my dads name and press call. I hear the phone ring 3 times before he answers. "Harry, is everything okay son? I just got a call about a shooting so I'm busy-"

     "I'm here."

     "What son?"

      "I'm here dad where the shooting was, I'm here. Memphis has been shot. She's not doing good." I tell him, looking down at my feet, I'm not able to look at her. I can't see her like that. Can't see her anyway other than her smiling, healthy self.

     "Harry, are you okay son?"

     "Yes." No. I'm never going to be okay again if she isn't.