Chapter 7

Harry's POV

     Holy shit. My fucking dad, are you kidding me? No other cop in this town couldn't have found us first?

   "Don't say a word, I've got this." Memphis says, and before I can dispute her, my dad is approaching us. I turn my body to face him, blocking Memphis from his view. I don't know what she has planned but I'm not letting her take the fall for this, she had nothing to do with me coming to that party tonight.

   Well, actually she did, but not in the way that really matters.

   But clearly she's not in agreement of that, because she steps beside me and faces my dad head on.

   "Harry, go and get in my car. I'll be speaking with Memphis and then taking her home." His voice leaves no room for argument.

   "No."

   "Excuse me?" My dad turns to look at me like he can't believe what he just heard.

   "I said no. She's not taking the fall for this, you can't blame everything on her."

   "That's not what I'm doing, son. I know she's not to blame for you being at that party, but that doesn't mean she's not in trouble at all. If I breathalyse the two of you, are you going to come away blowing a zero?"

    When neither of us answer him, he knows he's right.

   "Exactly. But I'm  not going to do that, but I still have to do my job. Let me talk to Memphis, and you sit your ass in that  car, and I'll be having my talk with you at home." 

   "It's fine, Harry. Go." Memphis says, and I can tell she doesn't want to start a fight between my dad and I, so I go.

   Sitting in the back of his car sucks, and I try my hardest to hear what he's saying to her, but it's with no luck. I watch their body language though, and I see Memphis gesturing with her hands while she's talking, and whatever my dad's response is makes her head drop and her whole face falls. He gently places a hand on her shoulder, and I can tell he's using a soft tone with her by the way she looks up at him.

    Despite my dad's warnings about staying away from Memphis and her brothers, I can tell her genuinely cares about her. Maybe he just doesn't understand her, or maybe he has some other reservations about her brothers', or family in general. Hell, after what Gray told me about her mom, who the hell really knows.

    Memphis nods her head at whatever my dad is saying to her, and the sad look in her eyes has me itching to exit the car and comfort her, the feeling so intense it's nearly stifling. I want to make that look disappear from her face. They walk over to the car without saying anything else, and Memphis climbs into the backseat.

    My dad picks up his radio and starts talking to someone, but my attention is on the girl in the back.

    You okay? I mouth to her, trying to distinguish the look thats on her face. It's that blank look that I saw on her at school that day, almost like a mask. Not at all like the open girl that I was just talking to at the cliffs or on our walk.

    She just mutely nods her head, and then turns to stare out her window. My dad starts the car, and drives us back to our street. He stops in front of our driveway and puts the car in park.

    "Harry, tell Memphis goodnight and get inside, I have to go back to the station and deal with a couple of things before I can call it a night. Memphis, I'll be speaking to your grandmother in the morning." He's talking to us in full cop mode now, offering no slice of understanding to either one us.