𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘺-𝘵𝘸𝘰

chapter thirty-two
' tough calls and recruitment. '

     "IT WAS A LOVELY CEREMONY

"IT WAS A LOVELY CEREMONY." I said finally, in an attempt to get Tony to speak.

"Yeah," he managed as we exited the church. "Can...can I have a minute before we leave?"

       "Take as much time as you need, Tones." I gave him a quick hug before glancing back at Steve, who had stayed behind towards the front of the room. He and Sharon Carter had had an awkward exchange as they gave their condolences, but they didn't seem to linger. Thank goodness for that, or I would be kicking his butt. Especially since he and Nat have a thing.

        As much as I wanted to talk to him about what was to come with the Accords, I hung back. Nat would be here soon, and I didn't want to ruin their moment. Glancing at my phone, my jaw nearly dropped when I realized that I had fifteen texts and three missed calls from Jacob, one Face Time notification from Tom Holland, and one-hundred and twenty-three calls from Phil Coulson.

       I decided to call Phil first. The phone rang for so long that I breathed a sigh of relief when the S.H.I.E.L.D. director finally picked up. "Phil?"

   "Madi? Is everything okay?"

       "What do you mean, 'is everything okay'? You called me one-hundred and thirty-three times!"

   "I was just checking since you took so long to call back. It's Simmons-she's gone missing."

I tugged at my hair anxiously. "Phil, I told you not to touch the Monolith! I swear to—why is that you never listen to me? This is bad—really, really bad!"

    I don't have time for this! I wanted to scream. My hands are full enough with trying to stop a civil war and now Simmons has gotten herself stranded on an alien planet!

      "Madi? Madi? Hello, are you still there? What do we do?"

     I inhaled sharply before closing my eyes and counting to ten. I am an adult, and I can stay calm under pressure. "Check the security feed and double check that she is actually missing. If you don't find any traces of her, call me. If you do, just shoot me a text and spare me the gray hairs."

      "You're the boss."

   "Unfortunately." I snapped, ready to hang up. "Oh, and Phil?"