Chapter 9: The False Assassin

Mountain path to the temple

The three companions arrive at the stairs that lead up to the temple. They can already see the partially formed grail, which is a massive black blob.

 They can already see the partially formed grail, which is a massive black blob

They prepare to head up the stairs as they see a swordsman walking down towards them. He says, "I am sorry, but this is as far as you can come. I have been ordered by my master to not allow anyone up to the temple." Rin says, "And just who might your master be. The only two master's still alive are standing here and I am positive neither of us is your master." The man replies, "You are correct my master has already fallen. I was summoned as a servant by Caster. However, when she died I did not vanish. Now I continue to serve my duty guarding these stairs. I am looking for one good duel while I am here in this life. Will you give me such a battle?"

 Will you give me such a battle?"

The Swordsman

Rin says, "Can't you see that giant thing up there. If we don't get by you that thing will destroy this whole world." The man replies, "That is not really my concern. I don't live in this world. I died long ago. All I desire now is a good sword duel." Artoria says, "Very well then I will fight you. (F/N) and Rin go on ahead." (F/N) comments, "Not to be rude to Rin, but I think it would be safer for her to stay here with you. We need her alive to use her command seals on you." Rin says, "Oh so you think I am too weak to go up there without my servant." (F/N) sighs, "No I know that Gilgamesh is going to be up there and I based on how he fights he could easily attack us both at once. I don't want you getting hurt by him, so I would prefer that you let me deal with him while you stay here with Saber." Rin says, "Fine, but you better still be alive when I get up there." (F/N) says, "My plan is to kill him before you even get there. I promise you that I will still be alive when you arrive."

(F/N) runs up the stairs and the swordsman allows him to pass. Artoria and the swordsman cross blades. As usual Artoria uses wind magic to conceal her blade, so that its exact length and what sword it really is can be hidden from view. The swordsman strikes very quickly against her and slowly learns the length of her blade as he strikes one blow after the next. He wields a katana that is longer than Artoria's Excalibur which gives him the advantage in terms of reach. He says, "That is rather clever to hide how long your blade is. However, it will not be enough for you to survive against me for long."

The battle between then continues as neither side is able to gain any ground against the other. Rin just stands there and watches unable to do anything to be of much help. Finally Artoria is able to get a hit on the swordsman, but it is just a graze on his arm. The swordsman continues his assault using the length of his blade to his advantage. The swordsman soon is able to cut Artoria's arm, but it is not a severe wound and mostly is a minor annoyance. They both continue in their strikes against each other as both grow weary from the fight.

Meanwhile at the temple (F/N) has reached the site of the Holy Grail. As expected Gilgamesh is standing there admiring his work. He hears (F/N) coming and says, "I am surprised that you are still alive. Of all the masters you were by far at the largest disadvantage, yet here you are. Your showing up was the one thing that I had not planned for. I figured that you were already dead. Do try to entertain me while the grail fully awakens mongrel." Gilgamesh then summons a sword and throws it at (F/N). (F/N), who has pulled a sword with a scabbard out of his pocket dimension before reaching the top of the temple blocks that strike. Gilgamesh says, "Not bad but try this now." Multiple weapons are thrown at (F/N). (F/N) uses the sword and the scabbard in a spinning motion to block the incoming attacks. Gilgamesh says, "It would seem mongrel that you actually do have some skill. Perhaps you will be able to entertain me slightly.

(F/N) rushes forward at Gilgamesh, who side steps the attack. However, (F/N) quickly redirects his blow and barely misses cutting Gilgamesh. Seeing that (F/N) can move quickly, Gilgamesh decides to be slightly more serious in the fight and begins to summon multiple weapons to keep throwing at (F/N). (F/N) dodges the attacks as they come. He further works on closing the gap between the two. (F/N) finally gets close enough to strike and Gilgamesh side steps his sword. However, (F/N) does make contact with the scabbard as he thrusts it into the side of Gilgamesh's leg. As contact is made (F/N) shouts, "Poison strike!" All of a sudden poison bursts out the other side of Gilgamesh's leg as the spell causes a high pressure blast of poison to be shot off when it makes contact with something.

Gilgamesh says, "How dare you hurt me you mongrel? I will make you pay for that." (F/N) is then bombarded by many weapons at once. Seeing them coming (F/N) uses wind magic to block most of them. He does suffer several scrapes from the swords, but nothing serious. He then charges at Gilgamesh once more. Now that his leg is injured, Gilgamesh is much slower. (F/N) in this charge is able to slice Gilgamesh's side with his sword. This wound infuriates Gilgamesh all the more.

Back at the stairs to the temple Artoria and the swordsman continue to cross blades. Finally the swordsman steps back and says, "I will show you my ultimate technique. One that you cannot hope to dodge." He then uses his Tsubame Gaeshi in which he strikes with blinding fast speed. Artoria suffers multiple wounds from this attack, but is able to block any fatal blows from landing. The swordsman says, "I am surprised. You seem to be even better than I thought. I am rather enjoying this fight."

Rin says to Artoria, "We need to hurry. I don't know how long we will have until the grail is fully summoned. However, it will not be long. You need to finish this faster Saber." Artoria replies, "I am trying, but he is better than I expected." The two return to clashing with each other once more. Blow after blow is traded between the two as neither is willing to give the other a chance for a real opening.

After over twenty minutes of the two fighting with each other the swordsman backs up again out of Artoria's range. He takes his stance to use Tsubame Gaeshi once more. This time Artoria is more ready for it. As he uses his ability Artoria moves in for the kill. She is able to slice straight into the swordsman's stomach and her sword collides with his spine. The swordsman falls to the ground. Artoria has suffered multiple wounds from the attack, but is still able to stand. As the swordsman begins to fade away he says, "How were you able to get a strike in?" Artoria replies, "After your first use of the ability your sword was bent. This left an opening in your strike." The swordsman replies, "Well at least I got to have one good duel while I was here." He then fades away.

With the swordsman gone Rin says, "We need to get up to the grail now. I don't know how long (F/N) can last against Gilgamesh. Hopefully he is not dead already." Artoria says, "I agree." They start to head up the stairs, but it becomes clear that Artoria is having a hard time. She has several wounds on her legs. Rin stops and heals her wounds as best that she can. Then they proceed up the stairs, although not as quickly as they would like as they head toward the Holy Grail.