Leave Me Alone - EraserMic

High school/soulmate AU

fluff (I don't normally write pure fluff, so I guess consider this the special chapter for 100 reads)

---

Everyone has a soulmate; at least, that's what Shouta's mother always said. The teen boy could fondly remember the days of his childhood when his mom would talk about his father, how they met, and the words inked onto their skin. She told him they were the first words he ever said to her, but he just thought it was silly. Who needs a soulmate? Who needs romance and love, unconditional support and care, even physical touch like hugs and kisses? It's all stupid, he thought.

He didn't need a significant other to drag him down and get hurt due to his hero career. He didn't want to deal with all the drama and the feelings. It was all just some scientific chemical reaction in the brain, anyway. Soulmates weren't essential.

Those words on his wrist didn't really matter, they were just something he was born with and would have to deal with. End of discussion. Besides, those words were so common; it would be impossible to determine his soulmate from "Hey, what's your name? Let's be friends!"

As he took the first big step in his heroic career, entering U.A. high school, he knew he couldn't afford to make friends. Just like a lover, they would pull him down. Even if they were going to be heroes too, he couldn't afford to waste time on caring for other people. He had to grind his way through with such a measly quirk, and he couldn't spend time on relaxing with buddies and risk losing progress with his training.

When he sat down at his desk, he began to write in his notebook to avoid being talked to. The blond who's seat was next to him, however, wouldn't take the hint. "Hey! What's your name? Let's be friends! I'm Hizashi Yamada." Shouta perked up at these words. However, he brushed it off. He had heard them half a dozen times in his life already, this boy couldn't be the one.

As he looked up to see the idiot who dared to disturb him, the first thing he noticed was how utterly obnoxious he looked. His hair was gelled up and he was wearing sunglasses indoors, and he expected to be a professional hero that saves lives? No way. Not to mention just how loud he was, practically shrieking in a school classroom on the first day.

Shouta glared at the ecstatic teen next to him, scoffing. "Sorry, I don't have time for friends."

The loudest possible scream filled the room, causing the other students filing in for their first day of high school to cover their ears. "It's you! Holy crap, it's you! You're my soulmate!" The boy was practically bouncing around the room as Shouta's eyes widened. He stood from his seat and frantically tried to calm the bubbly blond next to him, who seemed already completely enamored by the messy teen boy fate had set him up with.

"Shut up, will you? I'm not interested in being anyone's soulmate. We're going to be heroes, idiot, we don't have time to fool around," he spat. He could almost see Hizashi's heart breaking by the millisecond.

"O-oh... I see. That, uh, sounds like a really pessimistic lifestyle, but fine." He sunk into his seat, wrapping his arms around his head on the table. Souta knew he could have been a least a little bit nicer, maybe even given him a chance, but that's the way things were. He had spent his entire fifteen years on earth debating the topic of soulmates, and he had known for years that he would reject his. 

He sighed as he sat back down in his seat, debating saying something to his newly discovered soulmate, but deciding against it. He had just broken the poor man's heart, there was no need to rub salt in the wound.

Weeks passed before Shouta would finally open up to the helpless male who insisted on following him around everywhere. Of course, he knew it was all some ploy to get close enough to be accepted as his fateful lover, and Shouta held strong against the idea as much as he could, but he finally broke.

"Listen... if I agree to one date with you, will you leave me alone?" he sighed in defeat as he plopped his books down for class one morning.

"No, but I'll tell you I will." He smiled giddily with that dumb, adorable grin he always wore.

"Whatever, good enough for me. You can pick what we do, I really don't care."

The next Friday after school, Hizashi grabbed his new friend by the hand and practically dragged him across town. The pair ran, Shouta trying not to trip as the energetic boy pulled him along, before he collided into the back of said boy at an abrupt stop.

"Okay, so it's a surprise, which means you have to cover your eyes!" he cheered, his words practically oozing excitement as the mess of a boy next to him just grumbled.

"Are you serious? This is so childish..."

"Yes! Now do it!"

"Fine..." Shouta placed a hand lightly over his eyes as Hizashi once again grabbed the other hand, leading him down the street of cafes and entertainment. Finally, he stopped and lead the other male inside, a bell jingling overhead as the classic smells of a cafe filled both of their noses.

The blond pried the hand off of the other's eyes, nudging him toward the action of the cafe. He noticed the theme: something animal related. It was cute, he thought, but then his attention shifted to something pawing at his foot. 

There was a cat playing with his shoe laces.

It was a cat cafe.

With sparkling, wide eyes, Shouta gazed around the room in bewilderment. He noticed several different cats lounging around on cat trees and furniture, each waiting for his attention and gentle pets. Maybe this whole date thing wouldn't be so bad after all.

"So, what do you think? Did I choose well?" Hizashi sang.

"...I suppose." He bent down to scritch the calico at his feet, his black greasy hair effectively hiding the blush creeping onto his face at the thought put into the chosen location.

"If you don't like it, we can go somewhere else... but I already paid for a half hour-" Hizashi started.

"No," Shouta paused to gaze up at the uncharacteristically quiet boy standing over him, "I like it. It's cats, cats are my favorite." He let a small smile slip onto his lips, earning a squeal from his companion. 

"Yay! I knew you'd love it!"