Inseparable - KiriBaku Fantasy AU

Tw: two curse words, grieving loss, brief mentions of death (no one dies and there's no description of death, just mentions of it)

---

Silence

Silence was all Bakugou could register.

One moment, he and his head knight had been fighting side by side, like always, against a mage that ransacked their woods. The next moment, all that was left was him, a clearing surrounded by half-burning trees, and silence.

"Ejirou?" He called out, standing from where he had previously fallen. He limped toward the center of the charred ground where his dragon and their enemy had been brawling only seconds ago.

"Ejirou!" He yelled, growling in frustration. "Kirishima! Get out here, this isn't funny!" His heart started racing.

He was gone, somehow. The mage was too. Everything was gone except him and his kingdom of dragons two miles east.

Ever since he was young, the red dragon had been by his side. He was fifteen when he took the throne, the same age as Kirishima, who was training with the royal knights. The two shared gazes often, finally meeting a few weeks later as the knight graduated his training program, proving he was strong enough to be in a real battle. It was uncommon for his age, just as it was uncommon for someone of Katsuki's age to take the throne. The two bonded over their shared struggles and success, they were unseparable.

When reports of a mage on the edge of their boundary reached the King, he insisted on meeting them himself. He wanted to strike fear in anyone who thought they could encroach on dragon territory, and maybe he wanted a little adventure and a break from his duties too. Of course his second in command went with him, there wasn't a place he would not willingly accompany his king. That was their biggest mistake.

"How could I have been so foolish?" Bakugou whispered to himself, knelt on the ground in the spot where he had seen his companion for the last time. He crumpled, sobbing into the ground where no one else could see or hear.

Hours passed and the royal advisors and knights were beginning to worry. A search party was sent to find the two, which was never necessary in the past. They carried each other, they were always victorious and came back in no time. This was a rarity the kingdom had never experienced.

The knights stumbled upon the charred clearing after following the smell of smoke. All that was visible was their king, a man who refused to show any sort of weakness to anyone under any circumstances, yet he was now sobbing and screaming into the blackened dirt in front of him.

"Your majesty?" One of the knights called out, several running toward him in concern, thinking he was hurt. His leg was mangled and burned, but that was all.

"What happened?" Another questioned, pulling him to stand between her and another knight so they could support him enough to walk on his good leg.

"He's gone, I don't know how but he's fucking gone!" The knights stared at each other in shock, thinking the other half of the duo was dead.

"Where is he?" The lead knight of the group asked, intending to find the body for a proper memorial.

"I just told you, idiot, he's gone! Him and the mage disappeared. Here one second, gone the next!" He was struggling and thrashing his arms against the two knights that held him up, trying to break free. He knew he couldn't walk on his leg and might injure it more, but intimidating and possibly punching the knight who dared to have the guts to imply his second in command was dead was more important to him.

"Your Majesty, you need to calm down," one of his royal advisors emerged from the treeline, having followed after the knights just in case. He had heard everything, of course, with Bakugou's horrid screaming habits.