Open - KiriBaku

Tw: loneliness
This chapter is basically my depressed ramblings I shoved onto bakugou. I've worked on this here and there for like 3 weeks so sorry if it feels choppy,,,

I headcanon bakugou as someone so dedicated to his goal, he'll do anything for it, even if it hurts him. He refuses to make good friends at UA because they get in the way of self discipline, and other heroes get hurt: he doesn't want to be heartbroken over losing one of his friends in the field.

That being said, though, he's horribly lonely and hates seeing the people who try to give him a chance being so happy without him. He pushes them away for what he thinks is his own good, but he only gets hurt in the process.

---

"You ever just wish things were different?" Mina whined, sulking over her failed English test. The class was never her strong suit, and she, like many students, just wished it would come more easily to her.

But everyone perceives words differently.

Bakugou sighed, scowling and gripping his pencil tighter, his knuckles turning white. He did wish things were different, and he didn't know how to deal with that.

He relentlessly bullied and harassed the one kid who ever tried to see past his harsh exterior. He struggled to get along with his parents, not understanding his father and being outright afraid of his mother. He struggled to believe he really could achieve his goal; everyone else was just so much better than him, how could he ever be worthy of the title he wanted so badly?

He did wish things were different.

"Yo Bakubro!" The distinct raspy voice of the closest thing he had to a friend disrupted his thoughts. "We're gonna head to the mall after class, wanna come?" Kirishima's bright toothy grin engrained itself into his mind; he just looked so happy all the time, how was it even possible?

"No, leave me alone," he barked. Deep down, he did want to go, but he felt like he couldn't show these people who he really was. He was weak and anxious, and he'd never let anyone see. He'd only be a burden to them, ruining their fun.

"Aw, come one, just this once, please?" Mina and Denki cried out, voices high pitched and annoying to try to get him the acquiesce.

"No! I have to study later, so shut up and leave me alone."

And that's what they did.

Bakugou finished studying early on in the night. He was in the top students of his class, he didn't have to push himself very hard to understand the hero laws he'd been studying since middle school. Finishing so early, however, left him alone to his thoughts the rest of the night.

The "bakusquad" (he hated that name) was going to be out until curfew, and everyone else was either downstairs playing games or watching a movie like the class does every Friday or up in their rooms alone like he was. He sighed, despondency settling in his already damaged heart.

He shoved himself out of his desk chair and stomped toward the door, choosing to go get a snack and a glass of water from the kitchen. He convinced himself it was for his health and well-being, but deep down he knew it was because he wanted an excuse to be around other people.

He was lonely, but he still pushed everyone away anyway. He tried to tell himself it was better this way.

When he reached the kitchen, he wasn't surprised to see Deku and his friends playing Mario Kart in the TV area. Uraraka had just won against Midoriya, Tsu, and Todoroki, and she was cheering in victory.

Bakugou seethed, trying to ignore their pure bubbling joy. He convinced himself he wasn't jealous.

To his surprise, however, he saw red hair poking up behind the back of the couch.

He opened the fridge to grab a snack, gaining the attention of the group of friends plus one, who all looked between themselves before Deku invited him to join them.

He only responded with a curt "Like I'd wanna spend my Friday night with you extras." As he took his snack and glass with him back up the stairs.

Kirishima pouted before his legs moved on their own and he was right behind the other resident spikey-haired guy in class, chasing after him in the direction of both of their rooms.

Bakugou ignored the fact he was being followed until he found himself outside his own door, whipping around to see the toothy grin he hated loving.

"What are you doing here? I thought you went with the other idiots to the mall," he grumbled, opening his door and setting his snack down on his desk, leaving Kirishima standing in his doorway.

"I did, but I left early. It was boring without you."

Bakugou's heart twinged, but he kept up his cold exterior.

"That's stupid."

"Maybe, but I don't think so. I like spending time with you!" His dopey, toothy grin and stupid pretty eyes made the other growl. He shouldn't be feeling the way he does about that dumb face.

"Dumb hair, you don't even know me," he spat, leaning over his desk.

"Sure I do! I know you're an amazing student, a great and caring friend, even if you refuse to show it, and I know you struggle and have problems just like everyone else. You're human, Bakugou, and I know you're dealing with something. I don't know what, but I want to help," the redhead rambled as he decided to walk through the doorway, stepping closer to the other male.

Bakugou didn't even realize he had softened his gaze, staring down at the plate of snacks in front of him. He's not supposed to be soft, though, being soft is showing weakness in his mind. Weakness is never okay.

"Just... get out and leave me alone."

"Is that what you really want, Bakugou?" He asked quietly, resting a hand on Bakugou's shoulder.

He stiffened. He didnt know what he wanted. All he knew was he wanted this feeling to stop. He wanted to stop hurting, but he didn't want to open up. He wanted to become the Number One Hero, not become vulnerable.

"I don't know." His raspy voice was meek, the softest anyone had every seen him, including his childhood friend.

"Come on, why don't we watch a movie or play a game or something. Just the two of us; just do something relaxing and distracting, sound good?" The taller smiled, giving the shoulder in his hand a gentle squeeze.

Bakugou paused, stiff, but finally nodded.

Their lives continued like that for a month or two. Kirishima would take notice of Bakugou's worst days, and he'd come to the rescue with a board game, video game, or movie. He was the one and only person Bakugou felt okay being vulnerable with on occasion. But he started feeling too good about it. He forgot the entire reason he was pushing everyone away in the first place, and realizing he had screwed everything up terrified him.

He ruined everything.

His whole goal was to stay alone so he wouldn't get hurt, but now here he was, in love with his only real friend.

---

I love you guys, stay safe, drink water, and remember to smile <3