Nightmares - KiriBaku

Tw: mentions of kidnapping, very, very slight allusions to mental abuse and SH

---

It had been only a few days since 1A had moved into the new UA dorms, and it had only been a few days that Kirishima had consistently woken up prematurely. He winced at the strangled sounds and occasional popping noises of small explosions next door. The first night he had been concerned, but he knew Bakugou, his next-door neighbor, could handle himself, and tried to go back to sleep. Now it had been several nights in a row, the same occurrence each night.

He sighed, throwing the blankets off is body and bracing for the cold air. He leaned up, propping his body weight onto his arms before situating his legs on the floor, his bare feet recoiling at the cold hard wood. He shoved his toes into his plush shark slippers and stood, rubbing his eyes gently, habitually being sure his quirk wasn't activated, as shuffled over to his door.

He yawned before opening it, turning and walking the few feet to the matching door of his distressed neighbor. He pouted at the struggling noises on the other side of the reinforced wood in front of him before giving it a few soft knocks with only one of his knuckles, trying to be quiet.

"Bakugou?" he whisper-yelled, "Bakugou, can I come in, man? Are you okay?"

The sounds stopped, but he didn't hear an answer.

"It's me, Kirishima, can I come in please?"

He heard shuffling, but no footsteps coming to open the door. Sighing, he pushed down the feeling of intrusion and prioritized making sure his friend was okay, "I'm going to open the door, okay?" He continued whisper-yelling.

He turned the knob slowly in case he heard any sort of protest but ended up opening it enough to squeeze through without hearing anything. He pushed his body through the opening, closing the door behind him with care and quiet precision. Turning around, he could see his spikey-haired friend's body facing the wall, only the back of his head showing, poking out from under his blankets. He was curled up into a fetal position, gripping his blankets around him like a small, frightened child.

Kirishima had never seen his friend so vulnerable, and he doubted he ever would again. He didn't know if he was awake or not, part of him hoped he wasn't so the redhead would actually be able to live to see tomorrow, but he also wanted to know what was bothering the explosive boy every night. It was beginning to affect Kirishima's sleep schedule, and that wasn't super manly, but making sure his friend was okay was more important to him.

He inched closer, his shark slippers muffling the sound of his careful footsteps as he crossed the distance between the door and the bed. He stood over the blond, bending over to see his face and see if he was awake. He saw his friend with his eyes harshly squinted shut as if he were in pain, the rest of his face covered by his blanket-clad fingers gripping the soft sheet of comfort over the rest of his tensed body.

"Are you awake?" He spoke, his hushed voice barely audible.

Bakugou pulled the blankets every so slightly tighter around his body, alerting Kirishima that he was indeed awake. Slowly, one of his eyes pried open, the swirling fiery orb of his red iris darting to the corner, staring up at the intruder. The eye squinted shut again, the dirty-blond eyebrow above it furrowing lower in anger.

"What are you doing here?" Bakugou's voice was raspy from sleep and louder than the other boy had expected. He flinched, taking a step back.

"You are awake," he mumbled.

"I would've never known, Sherlock." Bakugou outstretched his legs, turning onto his back and shoving his pillow over his face. He hid his expression from Kirishima, but his body was visibly less tense. "What do you want, hair-for-brains?"