Pinky Promise - Kirishima x self harm reader

Trigger Warning: obviously contains mentions of self harm

angst/ comfort fluff

---

"Hey, Kirishima?" Kaminari had been scrolling through his phone, his body draped over the common room couch as he relaxed with his two closest friends, Eijirou and Y/n.

The red head hummed in recognition, prodding his electric friend to continue without looking up from the racing game he was playing with Y/n.

"How'd you get that scar over your eye? Don't get me wrong, it's pretty cool looking, but," he paused, "how the heck do you get a permanent scar on your eyelid without, you know, damaging the eye itself?" He sat up, now leaning on the back of the couch instead of lying down.

"Funny story actually," Y/n smiled at the way he grew a little sheepish, but still remaining confident as ever. "When my quirk first manifested, I had rubbed my eye and the hard skin scratched it. It's nothing too crazy... just me being a dumb kid," he chuckled. Kaminari snickered and Y/n would be lying if they said they didn't laugh a bit too.

"So, wait," Y/n spoke as the racing lap ended, showing they had beaten their racing partner this time, "you've had that scar since you were four? It must've been deep if it won't fade."

"Yeah, it hurt," he paused, "a lot. But it's okay, because it could have been a lot worse."

"I guess you're right." Kaminari stood and stretched, "Well, I'm going to go up and get some memes in before bed, later you two!" Y/n and Kirishima both wished him a good rest before the atmosphere shifted. It was getting late, maybe they should call it quits soon.

"Y/n?" Kirishima had moved from sitting on the floor to resting on the couch now that it was open, but Y/n still sat on the ground.

"What's up?" their voice perked up as they selected the next race track.

"Do you have any scars?"

Everything faded out. Any noise was replaced by the sound of static and a high-pitched ringing, and their eyes became completely unfocused.

Everyone knew Y/n wasn't one to fight. They wanted to be a rescue hero, and their hero suit was designed to prevent them from getting scratched by debris and sharp edges. It covered almost every inch of their skin, and they always wore more covering clothes. No one even had the chance to see any scars.

The scars littered and layered on the outermost layers of their skin burned as they were reminded of their existence.

"Hey... hey, Y/n! What's wrong?" they snapped out of their trance and Kirishima lifted them off of the floor and onto the couch next to him. He had his arms gripping their shoulders tightly, shaking them gently to get their attention.

"Ah, sorry, just... some thoughts," they brushed it off.

"Y/n, you don't look good, are you alright?" His normal smile was replaced by a pout.

"To be honest," they averted their eyes, "not really."

"...Talk to me," he whispered, pulling them into his chest and wrapping them in a hug. He could feel his shirt growing wet from salty tears.

"I do have scars..."

"You don't need to be ashamed of a few scars, you know. They're manly! Each one tells a story of how you pushed through and survived, no matter how petty the reason you got it."

"They're... ugly. They're gnarly, burning reminders that I'll never be good enough, that I always fall short." They whispered.

"No way, they're beautiful... just like you. I know, based on they way you reacted, they probably aren't natural scars, are they?" his grip on them tightened as he awaited their response. The soft nudge of their head pushing further into his chest was answer enough. "I'm so sorry..." his own tears began to fall.

"I'm sorry that you feel, or felt, the need to do that... I'm sorry that the world has been so unkind to you. You don't deserve any of this. You're one of the kindest people I know, and it hurts me that you're," he tried to find the right words without causing them to spiral again, "hurting."

They said nothing, only crying even harder.

"Next time... next time you feel the need to do that, please, please, just stop a moment. Come to me, call me, text me, anything, I don't care what time of day it is. Just don't hurt yourself.

"...Okay..." their voice shook.

"Can you promise me that?" He pushed them away from his chest, but kept them close, extending his pinky finger in front of them as his other hand rested firmly ono their shoulder. "Pinky promise?"

They chuckled slightly before lifting their own hand to meet his.

"Pinky promise."