Chapter 2.46: Whirl Cup Finals

"It's a beautiful day here at the Whirl Cup as we enter into the third round competition. With only sixteen Pokémon trainers left, the competition is fierce! The winners of today's battles will move on to the semi-finals tomorrow. First up, Zia versus Misty." The announcer announced as the two mentioned walked out to their respective sides.

"Same rules as the second round. Each trainer is allowed two Pokémon." The ref told them. Misty immediately sent out her Poliwhirl. Zia tossed up her pokeball, sending out an old friend in Kai, her Blastoise.

Amusingly, Zia saw Misty sigh in relief, probably thankful it wasn't her Gyarados. She remembered that the redhead wasn't too fond of the species, but she never understood why. Ziton was a sweetheart, ignoring what happened yesterday.

"Begin!" The ref shouted, raising both flags. "Poliwhirl, bubble!" Misty started as her Pokémon's hands glowed bright as bubbles shot out of them. "Kai, hydro pump." Zia countered. The Blastoise sent the powerful stream of water from his mouth, cutting straight through the bubble and hitting the Poliwhirl.

It got thrown back onto another platform behind it. "No, Poliwhirl! Fight back with doubleslap." Misty continued, seeing it slowly getting back up. The water/fighting-type swam through the water before jumping out in front of the Blastoise.

Kai got slapped around a few times, but didn't seem fazed as he stared down at the smaller Pokémon in front of him. "Aqua tail." Zia told him. The Kanto starter's tail became surrounded in swirling water as he spun around, hitting the Poliwhirl as it knocked into a pillar before falling down into the water.

"Poliwhirl is unable to battle. Blastoise wins!" The ref called. "Even after not training with them for months, your Kanto team is still unbeatable." Misty said, wide-eyed. "They've been training amongst each other, and Lance pops in every once in a while to help out. It's important while I'm not there." Zia said a little vaguely, not wanting to just announce that she's Champion.

If her Pokémon began to slack off in her absence and a threat to Kanto appeared and she wasn't there, her Pokémon would be the main line of defense on their own. If they weren't prepared for that, then it would be a major disaster. It's made her glad to see that they really have been training still.

"We're not through just yet, though. It's up to you. Go, Corsola." Misty sent out the water/ground-type. "As much as I enjoy battling with you, I want to give Nile some more battling experience." Zia said to her Blastoise. "I understand. He has great potential." Kai stated before Zia returned him.

It made her proud that her Johto team was impressing her Kanto team, that she was doing well in training them. "Let's go, Nile." She released the Croconaw. "Misty's second Pokémon will be Corsola while Zia makes a substitute to her Croconaw." The commentator informed the audience.

"Hydro pump." Zia went first. Nile shot the powerful water move at the Corsola. "Mirror coat." Misty said hurriedly. An orange glow outlined the pink Pokémon as the hydro pump hit. It struggled for a minute, getting pushed back a few inches, before sending the hydro pump back with twice the power.

Nile wasn't able to dodge it as he was thrown into the water. "Corsola, get in the water and use spike cannon." Misty ordered. Her partner dived in and began swimming around, trying to confuse the opponent on where it would attack.

Zia had trouble keeping her eye on the speedy Pokémon, especially when everything was slightly distorted underwater. She suddenly saw a bright glow from behind Nile. "Behind you! Use hydro pump." Zia shouted to him.

The Croconaw swiftly turned around in the water and fired a hydro pump at the same time the spike cannon was sent towards him. The two moves collided and exploded, knocking both water-types away from each other.