Chapter 2.35: Taking A Sick Day Off

A new day had begun for our protagonists who just spent a lovely night camping out next to a clear water lake.

Everyone was out of their pokeballs. Nile and Kaida were going for a swim, helping teach Riot as well. Cyra and Erebus were taking a nap in the sun. Monit and Hecate were flying about, the Gliscor stretching his wings while the Mismagius was going around startling random Pokémon. Adira was attempting to get Rei to play with her as he promptly ignored her. Donar was following Sky around like a lost puppy. And finally, Emmy and Juniper were helping Zia prepare the food for everyone.

Zia was kneeled down next to the cooking pot that was sat on top of the fire while the two grass-types laid down all the food bowls for everyone. "Zia, everything's ready over here." Emmy told her as she sat the last one down.

"I'm done too." Juniper joined in. However, there was no response from the girl. "Zia?" The Serperior went over to her, the girl's back facing everyone. "Zia!" She said louder, shaking her on the shoulder with a vine, only for Zia to fall over.

Gasping in surprise, they worriedly checked her over. "She has a fever." Juniper muttered, seeing her trainer's flushed face and feeling the high temperature coming from her.

After moving Zia to a nearby cabin made for passing travelers, Emmy, Sky, and Juniper staid inside with her. They put a cold towel on her forehead and tucked her into the bed. She didn't say anything, only giving the occasional groan of discomfort. All the other Pokémon watched from the open door and window in concern.

"Maybe it's a bad cold, or the flu." Sky suggested. "Could be that, or maybe she collapsed from exhaustion, I hear that's a thing, but I'm not a doctor." Emmy shrugged.

"She looks so tense. Maybe sweet scent will help." Juniper fretted as a light pink powder released from the leaf on her head, wafting towards the girl. After a moment, Zia seemed to relax a bit, sinking further into the bed as her furrowed eyebrows loosened.

"She has been working quite hard, and she has been under a lot of stress." Sky stated, thinking of everything that she has to worry about. Getting gym badges, competing in the Johto League, being a part of the G-Men and finding the Team Rocket boss, her relationship with KC, being a Champion, having psychic powers and having to hide it, and now she's just learned she's a True Guardian. It's a lot. Not to mention the fact that she has to take care of 13 Pokémon.

"We should let her rest for the rest of the day, we can cope by ourselves." Emmy decided just as Zia sat up, startling them. "You scared us, we thought you were asleep this whole time." Juniper told her. "Yeah, why don't you lie back down and doze off?" Sky suggested.

"It's not that easy, guys, especially when you have three Pokémon talking all the time." Zia told them, her cheeks still flushed a bright red from the fever. The trio smiled sheepishly, muttering an apology.

Zia sighed and started to swing her legs off of the bed. "Wait, what are you doing?" The Bayleef asked, rushing forward to stop her. "Well, I can't lie in bed all day and leave you guys alone. I have to fix the food, and do the laundry, and help you all tr..." Zia trailed off as she stood up, getting lightheaded and almost falling.

Emmy used her vines to help her sit back down on the bed. "You're sick, Zia. You need to stay in bed." Juniper told her sternly. "Just lie down." Sky said as the girl slowly did as told, the blanket being pulled back over her.

"You just need to take care of yourself today." Emmy said with a smile. "Maybe, sleep does sound good." Zia sighed, not liking how hot she felt, "If you guys need help, there's a checklist in my bag." She added as Juniper put the wet towel back on her forehead.

They watched as she slowly went back to sleep before Sky went over and dug the notepad out of her bag. They all went outside to give Zia some quiet as they read through it.