Chapter 2.45: Splash

The second battle of the second round of the Whirl Cup was between Ash and Misty. Zia, Sky, and Emmy sat with Brock, Pikachu, and Togepi up in the stands.

"Who do you think will win?" Zia asked Brock, as he was the one who traveled with the two all the time. "I'm not completely sure. Misty has the advantage being a water-type trainer, but you know Ash's luck and crazy strategies." The older answered her.

The only thing different about the second round is that each trainer was allowed to use two Pokémon instead of one now. Misty sent out her Pokémon first, and it ended up being a Poliwhirl. "When did Misty get that?" Zia asked.

"A while back, we came across a Poliwag while searching for medicine and Misty captured it. Since then, it's evolved into a Poliwhirl." Brock gave her the short story.

Ash threw out his Totodile. To Zia's knowledge, it was his only water Pokémon. She wondered if he had captured another one since last time they met, or if he had brought one from Kanto. "Ash will be battling with Totodile while Misty puts Poliwhirl to the test." The commentator stated.

The ref began the match, holding up both flags. Totodile started off with a water gun. Poliwhirl jumped into the air to dodge before diving underwater. "Poliwhirl has jumped straight into the water and is heading toward Totodile." The commentator commented.

Ash's Pokémon was about to jump in after it when the Poliwhirl leapt out in front of it. The water/fighting-type barraged the Totodile with a bubble beam, getting multiple direct hits. When it was finished, Totodile looked dizzy.

"Totodile's in trouble after that close range bubble attack!" The announcer said. The Poliwhirl then came down from the air, prepared to use doubleslap on its opponent. Totodile managed to snap out of it just in time to dodge the blow. It then head butted the Poliwhirl away using skull bash.

However, Misty's Pokémon caught itself on a column before pushing off of it back towards Totodile. It dodged the water gun aimed at it and landed on the platform in front of Totodile. The slightly bigger Pokémon then used doubleslap on it, making it crash into a column and fall back on the platform.

"Totodile is unable to battle. Poliwhirl wins!" The ref held the green flag in Misty's direction. "Ash must now choose his second Pokémon." The announcer relayed to the crowd. "I wonder what he'll choose." Zia muttered.

Her question was answered when Ash sent out his Kingler. "Misty will stick with her Poliwhirl while Ash battles with his Kingler!" The announcer announced. After the ref started the match, Poliwhirl began with a bubble.

The Kingler blocked the move with its bigger claw. The crab Pokémon then jumped into the air before smashing its big claw down onto the water, sending a white ball of energy that cut through the surface of the water towards the opponent. The Poliwhirl wasn't quick enough to dodge as the move ran it over.

"The sheer force of that crab hammer is actually splitting the sea floor!" The commentator exclaimed in shock. The water had split and crashed wildly against the walls of the colosseum before forming into multiple whirlpools.

"What is that?" Brock asked in surprise. Zia herself was speechless at the power of the crab hammer and the effect it caused. The Poliwhirl ended up getting caught underwater as it was thrown every which way by the numerous swirling vortices.

"The tide has certainly turned as Poliwhirl gets caught up in Kingler's perilous wave pool." The announcer stated. The middle evolution Pokémon was now stuck in a wave, heading towards Kingler.

The latter sent another crab hammer at the other, hitting directly. The Poliwhirl was knocked through the wave as it landed on a platform closer to Misty, fainted. "Poliwhirl's unable to battle. Kingler wins." The ref held a red flag in Ash's direction.