00. the meeting

CHAPTER ZERO
( ! the meeting ! )

MARLEY WALKED INTO the elementary school hand in hand with her mom and dad

MARLEY WALKED INTO the elementary school hand in hand with her mom and dad. It was the day after her best friend Aidan, her only friend, had left town, and the little eight-year-old definitely did not want to go to school.

Her parents had promised she could choose dinner that night if she went, which sounded like a pretty good deal to the young girl until she got closer to the school. The young girl had never been good at making friends; she often found she couldn't relate to all the kids who went to their school.

Her school was a mix of kids who lived on the Cut and kids who lived on Figure Eight. Most of the kids who went lived on Figure Eight, and it was hard for young Marley to understand their lives since she lived on the Cut.

When she reached the front door, the young girl looked at her parents silently, pleading for them to turn around and just go home. When her mom smiled sadly at the girl, she knew her chances of going home were slim to none. The young girl let out a sigh before opening the door to the school and leaving her parents without another word, her parents looked at each other worried.

"Are you sure this was the right choice, Michael? I mean, she just lost her best friend." Jennifer Wilson worried, very nervous about her daughter. Michael Cameron sighed. "She was gonna have to go inside someday. We did the right thing by making her go in now rather than later." Jennifer rolled her eyes at her husband. He had never been the one to understand their daughter.

Marley looked around. Before Aidan left, he'd wait for her every morning so they could walk into class together. Marley quickly walked towards her homeroom before sitting in the back. She looked around at all the kids laughing with their friends, making her miss her friend way more.

Marley found herself looking towards two boys in particular. They were sitting right next to each other as they played and fought. She had seen the boys around school before, and they seemed to be very close. One boy had messy blonde hair that seemed to go into his eyes every time he moved, and the other had dark brown hair and a smile that never seemed to leave his face.

Marley had no clue who the two boys were and honestly had no intention of finding out, but she couldn't help but admit they intrigued her. The little girl sat in the back of the class and tried to listen to the teacher in front of her. It was hard to concentrate when she could see the other little girls around her whispering to their friends and then looking her way.

The eight-year-old girl suddenly felt very self-conscious. She had never really cared about what others thought of her before—what eight-year-old had? So when she began to feel like all eyes were on her, Marley felt like the walls were closing in. The third grader was having difficulties paying attention and didn't want to be alone anymore.