04. quarter filled tanks

CHAPTER FOUR
( ! quarter filled tanks ! )

THE NEXT DAY, Marley sat next to Kie as she played the bongos on John B's front porch

THE NEXT DAY, Marley sat next to Kie as she played the bongos on John B's front porch. The group had come together to talk after the events of the night before. "Look, I'm callin' it off. All right? Peterkin said if I stay out of the marsh, she'll help me with DCS," John B explained, making JJ scoff. And you believed her?" John B sighed. Yes, I believe her, JJ."

JJ scoffed once again, "An actual cop, John B. You believed a cop." Marley sighed. "JJ, it's Peterkin. She isn't just some cop." John B looked at JJ. "Look, all I gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple of days, and she'll help me out. It doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting the gun." JJ shrugged. "You know what I should have done? Just let Topper drown your ass." john b sighed. "Yeah, because Topper was gonna drown me?"

"Sure looked like it. I mean, have you looked in the mirror?" JJ retorted, pointing at John B's face. Marley sighed, "JJ, he's not wrong. My dad has been calling non-stop since he found out. He's pissed I'm even hanging with you guys right now." The boys looked at Marley sadly before John B continued, "Tell me some more. Come on."

"They always win, don't they, man? Kooks versus Pogues. They always, always win! Goddamn!" JJ yelled, walking around his friends. "Look, it's okay!" Kie shouted back, and JJ turned back around quickly, "No, it's not okay! It is not! They don't want us to go down into the marsh. That means there's something valuable down there, and you know it, man," he turned back to John B before continuing, "I know you do, and I understand why you don't wanna go," he turned to Pope, "You're the golden boy. You got way too much to risk. And you," he turned to Kie, "I mean, you're already rich as fuck anyways. Why would you bother? And Mar," he turned to Marley, "You've got a great family with your mom and your sister you couldn't bear to lose, even your Kook dad and his Kook wife," he turned back to John B, "But you and me, man, we got nothin' to lose! We really don't, all right?"

John B sighed, "JJ." But JJ continued, "And I know it didn't used to be that way for you." John B shook his head, walking past JJ and away from the group. "I don't want to talk about this. I don't want to talk about this." JJ followed him instantly. "So that's it? John B, listen to me. I have a plan." JJ then told him his plan while the other three couldn't hear the conversation.

"Wow, I feel included in what's going on," Marley said, sarcasm dripping from each word as the other two sighed, feeling the exact same way.

THE TEENS SAT on the HMS Pogue, where they had found the boat. JJ told them all his plan for John B to steal, or as JJ said borrow, scuba gear from the Cameron's boat so they could all search. Marley didn't know why JJ's plan wasn't for her to ask her uncle, but she didn't say anything, wanting to see if his plan would succeed. Kie checked the air in each tank. "This is empty. You took empty tanks?" she asked, picking up the last one. "Okay, this one is a quarter full. It's enough for one of us."