20. the plane and the gold

CHAPTER TWENTY
( ! the plane and the gold ! )

CHAPTER TWENTY( ! the plane and the gold ! )

MARLEY SAT AT the doc at john bs house. john b had just told kie, jj, and marley how ward got all the gold.

"you sure he got everything?" asks kie as she watches john b. the boy was laying on the dock as he stared up.

"every bar. the whole enchilada."

"how was he even able to figure it out anyways?" questions marley as she stands next to a sitting jj, her hand in his.

no one had asked them about what they were but marley often found kie giving her extra glances when jj would pull the girls towards him or kiss her head.

john b began to grunt as he took his cast off before throwing it, "i don't know mar. look, it's not like i expected a happy ending or some shit."

"john b-"

"what, kie? it's a hairline fracture. who cares?" responds the boy as marley sighs, "john b my mom has seen stuff like this at the hospital before. your arms gonna be messed up for life." john b just sighs, "marley your mom is a receptionist at the hospital. it's not like she actually has to go in and help people."

marley frowns at the boy as jj gives him a warning glare, "dude, shut up. her mom is a huge reason the hospital here even works, i've been there. they sometimes have her help since she is medically trained."

marley smiled gratefully at jj as she squeezes his hand. without even looking up, john b just wiggles his fingers, which makes the three around him roll their eyes at his lack of care.

they all then hear footsteps approaching as popes voice rings through their ears, "guys!" the boy was running up to them and panting.

"oh! oh! oh, god. i ran all the way here."

marley smirked at the boy, "want a medal?" she heard jj lightly chuckle from beside her as pope just waved her comment off.

"how was the interview, pope?" questions jj as pope continues to pant, "don't ask." "awesome." mumbles john b as pope looks at the boy, finally not super out of breath, "jb... look, i'm sorry, dude. about everything."

"it's fine." replies john b as marley and kie give each other a look. the boy had been very short and easily agitated all day. "but- but i don't have a lot of time, and- and i have information that is tactically relevant. so, before i had my interview, my dad said he was going down to the private airstrip to cut palms for cameron's big plane. because it was too heavy, it needed a longer landing strip to take off. so, i'm sitting in my interview, thinking to myself, "hm. why would ward cameron need a longer airstrip to take off? what could be so heavy to weigh it down?"

everyone looked at each other as john b sat up. they were all thinking the same thing, "gold." john b looked at jj with a nod as pope did a little dance, "that's right."