39. caught

CHAPTER THIRTY NINE
( ! caught ! )

MARLEY SAT WITH her legs crossed and her arms around her legs while they waited

MARLEY SAT WITH her legs crossed and her arms around her legs while they waited. The four of them wanted to get the fuck away from John Bs house, but both didn't want to leave Kie and Pope and needed the boat the two had taken to get out safely.

So, when JJ noticed the HMS Pogue on its way toward the dock, Marley let out a thankful sigh and stood up. "Finally. Hey!" JJ yelled, running down the dock with the other three following close behind. "Guys, don't tie up. Stop it!"

"What?" Kie questioned, looking at the boy confused. "We're dipping." JJ responded while Pope looked between the four confused. "Wait, why?" Kie looked at JJ just as confused. "What? What are you talking about?"

Marley just quickly got on the boat, making sure to help Sarah on after as John B directed her toward her cousin. "What happened to you guys last night?" John B questioned.

"We slept on the break. What's up?" Pope responded. JJ pat him on the shoulder with a scoff. "Slept, right. Yeah." Marley smiled lightly, sending Kie a small look the other girl caught. "We were up all night." JJ finished.

"We gotta get the hell out of here." John B spoke, getting on to the boat himself. "Rafe knows we're here, so we have to leave, like, now." Sarah explained, being the only actual helpful one. Kie nodded. "Okay."

Pope pushed the boat out. "Come on." Once everyone was sat, Pope began their journey to just about anywhere else they could get that wasn't John Bs house.

The group found their way to a circular sitting spot, near the marsh but far enough from John Bs to feel safe. Kie sighed. "Look, if Rafe and Barry know, it's only a matter of time." Pope nodded. "Before everyone knows."

"I told you." JJ scoffed. "We should have just gone south, man." John B shook his head. "Just stop it." JJ continued his rant anyways. "Why does no one ever listen?"

"I get it, I get it. I understand." John B cut off, ending JJs ranting. The blonde boy came and stood behind Marley, who leaned back into him a bit and held onto his hand by her shoulder. "I have an idea." Sarah spoke, looking up and around the group.

"With me back, my dad's going to have to choose between me and Rafe." Sarah theorized. Everyone around just looked at her, even Marley didn't know how that would play out. The whole family knew that Ward always had a soft spot for Sarah he didn't have for the others, but things were different now. Who knows what all time can change.

John B sighed. "Sarah, Sarah—" Sarah just looked at him. "He's gonna choose me." John B put a hand up. "Just please listen. Ward keeps lying to you, Sarah."

Sarah looked down slightly as Kie spoke up. "He won't agree after all that's happened." Sarah shook her head. "No, I... I know it sounds crazy—"

"Yeah it does." Kie cut off.