Chapter 28

ALIZEH

ALIZEH

"You seem disturbed ever since you returned early from your vacation, yesterday," Agent J observed, flinging some files on her table and drawing up a chair.

"What makes you think that?"

"Well, you're rubbing your neck from time to time and sighing."

"How long have you been observing me?" Alizeh couldn't keep the scorn from her voice.

"Why are you stressed?" he asked again. If she had sounded rude, he didn't seem to mind.

"Let's just say my weekend didn't go as planned and I left that cloud for good. I just hope Lady A allows me to stay here. Alizeh had secretly felt guilty about her overreaction to the situation. Throughout the entire Sunday, time and again she had picked up her phone and scrolled to that one particular contact and then again slammed her phone on the bed in fury.

Her egos had gotten the better of her. But now she was genuinely ready to forgive and apologize if the need be. After all, Aileana had been a good friend and what she had done was just a prank. But she wouldn't call first, not this time.

"Well, we all stay here. It won't be an issue. But it's not right, you sitting with your own thoughts and sighing."

"Are we even allowed to talk about our personal lives here?" Alizeh turned towards him to find his eerily serene eye regarding her coolly.

"We break a lot of rules here. And unless it directly threatens our identity, we're free to make friends," he shrugged, taking out a cigarette and lighting it with ease.

"Please! I hate this habit," Alizeh slid her chair away.

"Oh! My bad," he commented, tossing it on the ground and putting it out with his foot. He stared at the thin swirl of flames that rose from the dying stump. His expression was unfathomable due to the stupid mask.

"Thank you so..."

"You're Alizeh," he stopped her midway.

"What?" Alizeh gaped, her mouth falling open and then closing shut.

"Don't behave like a fish taken out of the water. I held you in my arms. One doesn't forget that easily. Tell me I'm wrong," there was no mockery in his voice. If at all, there was an undertone of admiration.

Alizeh simply nodded without replying.

"I had been searching for you ever since that day."

"Why?" Alizeh asked, without turning towards him. Her heart was doing somersaults in her chest.

"Because you were different. And you were obedient. You almost seemed to believe me when I said we're not bad people."

"Believe me, I seriously had my doubts. But you didn't seem bad. And I'm the farthest thing from obedient," Alizeh bit back.