neun­und­dreißig.

EVERYONE FROZE MIDWAY at the sudden news the two soldiers brought. even the three soldiers of the scout regiment didn't expect such bad news as much as armin, actually, no one was expecting anything when a death sentence was going to be served. levi's grip on the blond's shoulders loosened until he no longer held him, too shocked to even respond or act accordingly. just like before, the commander was the first one who regained his composure.

     "is this a joke? what are you saying?" he asked, eyebrows furrowed while he frowned.

     "the soldiers guarding the walls were knocked out and some witnesses say that they saw him enter, it looked like he was from outside. the mermaid had sneaked in the castle without any of the military police guard noticing him. the heir was just on her way to her room and the attacker took this chance and kidnapped her before leaving the walls." the survey corps soldier said, his brows furrowed as he gritted his teeth. "we suspect that he went to the other side. hell, he might even be connected with that damn MARLEY!" he barked.

     the military police stepped in and wore a frown, "the majesty is looking for the three of you." was all he said, surprising them but nodded nonetheless. after all, who would expect that the silent ruler of their kingdom would want to meet them now

     "your orders, sir?" the survey corps soldier asked, his eyes boring through the commander. armin bit his lip, feeling his heart pound against his chest. MARLEY already started... we're fucked. the blond found himself thinking, fear enveloping his whole body.

     what now? was this another era of losing their kind to the hands of humans?

     erwin was silent for a moment but he soon found himself shouting out orders to the few people in the hallway. he turned to the survey corps soldier and placed a hand on armin's shoulder, pushing him forward. "lock arlert up at his cell again and watch over him, don't let anyone else pull him out of his cell." he ordered, earning a nod from the soldier before placing a hand on the younger's back. 

     "w-wait..." armin weakly called out, confused and just... shocked. wasn't he on his way to death? what's happening? "i-i'm not gonna die?" he voiced, his tone shaky and quiet as he looked up at the three with wide eyes. emotions were swirling in his sapphire hues but it was mostly shock and just, a bit thankful.

     hanji suddenly broke out a grin as she caught on and ruffled the mermaid's hair, "no, not yet. you have the information about MARLEY, you'll be useful when we try to get back the heir... as of now, just stay inside your cell."

     then, erwin cleared his throat and nodded. "alright then, lead us to the majesty." he said towards the military police. armin tried to hide the smile that was trying to break out of his face but it proved to be fruitful. he gazed downwards instead and tried to fight off the smile, how could he though? 

     thus, the four of them parted ways after making sure that every order erwin barked was known and understood. armin still speechless at the sudden turn of events while the survey corps soldier lead him back to his cell quietly, keeping a strong grip on his wrists.

     i still have hours to live...

     armin whipped his head with emotions swirling in his sapphire hues, looking back at the soldiers who quickly swam away. he bit his lip and looked downwards, his mind swirling with numerous thoughts at the sudden news.

     MARLEY, they're back. it's happening again... and it's all my fault.

— ♦︎ —

     the twinkling stars above the h/c-haired certainly didn't calm her nerves unlike the other times she visited the beach. she was standing by the entrance, gritting her teeth together while trying to contain her tears. the large machinery and trucks were still placed at the side of the beach and unlike any other nights, there were no people in the beach.