elf.

FEW STARS were present in the night sky. the sea breeze was cold and chilling, numbing your fingers and lips. even if you were wearing reiner's thick jacket, it didn't help much to your liking. the strong sea salt smell protruded your nose as you got closer but you weren't bothered by it. with how often you visit the beach, you were very used to the smell. the temperature? not so much.

     you opened the light from your phone and made your way to the shore, avoiding any stray rocks on the sand. the usual light coming from the streetlights was turned off, making it harder to walk through the beach at this time of night. even the big, bright moon wasn't giving that much white glow. luckily, you got close to the shore without any unwanted injuries or tripping over any objects. you saw the mermaid was already there, laying on his back while staring at the night sky with a distant look on his baby-like face.

     you quietly went up to him, trying not to make any sound, and sat down beside him. that startled and scared the poor boy, squirming away like a fish out of water. you laughed at this, covering your mouth and he soon stopped once he realized it was just you before composing himself.

     "oh! i-i thought it was someone else..." armin shamefully mumbled, with his voice cracking midway. even if you couldn't see very well under the dark sky, you knew that a bright red blush was decorating his pale cheeks. he sat up slowly and dusted the sand off his back, scooting a little to the side to give you space.

     you smiled in return and looked at the stars with your e/c tired eyes, watching it twinkle and shine as their own signature beauty. it was calmly quiet between the two of you, both appreciating the beauty of the dark serene night. the cold wind tickled your face and the lullaby of the howling wind mixed with the humming crashes of waves, enough to make you sleepy. you didn't realize how tired you were when you suddenly felt yawning. you kept it in with a bite of your lips and blinked repeatedly, trying to get rid of your sleepiness.

     "the stars are pretty tonight," armin finally said, glancing at you sideways with a bit of concern at your grumpy look before staring up at the sky once more. you nodded in agreement and said nothing more. "do you know what it's made of?" armin asked quietly, the innocence and curious tone lacing in his voice like honey.

     the look of annoyance on your face melted away as you smiled and thought of your answer, "well, it's made of a very hot gas. it twinkles when the starlight enters the earth, our world. it affects the light because of the temperature and other things." you explained thoroughly. you mentally slapped yourself once you caught sight of armin's confused look; you should've expected it. science is confusing after all, especially when the person you're talking to doesn't know anything about it.

     though he probably has another hundred questions to ask, he didn't dare bother and simply let his curiosity run wild.

     "you won't visit tomorrow, right?" armin questioned quietly, a frown on his face, different from his usual charming smile.

     you nodded and patted his shoulder, "yeah, you sure you'll be okay with me leaving you for a day?" you asked, voice soft as cotton.

     armin smiled, "yup! i can just hang out with my friends or sleep early, no need to worry about me."

     you laughed and let your hand travel to his golden locks, ruffling his hair in a teasing manner. "don't miss me too much, alright?"

     he chuckled alongside you, gently prying your hand away from his hair before poking out his tongue in a jeering manner. "it's not like i'll miss you in the first place!"

     seconds later, he gasped and covered his mouth, thinking that his joke was too rude and hurtful. "i'm so sorry! that was a joke, i didn't mean it!" he apologized, tears pricking his eyes at the thought of hurting his friend's feelings.