neun­und­zwanzig.

A STRAINED SILENCE started to rise in the air as different pairs of eyes looked around the beach, brain processing the mellow phrase that came out of reiner's mouth. it was uncomfortable, the ringing static of silence. the two could only hear the waves that crashed against one another, dread and regret pooling in their stomach until they felt puking. y/n looked at the ocean with wide eyes, gaping at the gentle waves of the water as her mind repeated the phrase over and over again until her head started to pound.

     y/n felt her breath hitch and the invisible walls started closing in, making it slightly hard for her to breathe and her mind shut down, leaving her quiet and unresponsive. she couldn't immediately say something to her friend, and even if she wanted to, what was she supposed to say? 

     wow, she couldn't believe it. was this a prank? a joke? the person that reiner actually likes was her? y/n could only laugh at her stupidity, especially when the blond showed signs about it back then when it was very clear and in front of her. that's who he was referring to back then, me... i go to school early. she bit her lip, no wonder he was acting cranky in the past when he found out about my 'boyfriend'. she thought, unknowingly gripping her pants tight with clenched fists.

     not only that, reiner was more showy than ever. hugging her, ruffling her hair whenever he had the chance. it was something usual but then again... he'd always appear by her side and make sure to help her with whatever she needs. she always thought it was just him being friendly but as she looks back, there was a motive behind his actions.

     "y/n?" reiner called out worriedly, his heart starting to hurt at the fact that it was taking the latter a long time to answer. "hey, are you okay?" 

     the h/c-haired snapped out of her thoughts and cleared her throat, nodding vigorously as she avoided her friend's stare. this exact situation, it almost felt like the first time she confessed to the blond after building up her courage for months. it was awkward and quiet, was this the feeling that reiner experienced when she confessed? it hurt as hell when she was rejected but reiner never wavered to the awkwardness, fixing their relationship within a few months. 

     what would happen now that it's reversed?

     after experiencing that, she absolutely didn't want the blond to feel sad or heartbroken, even when he was the first one who rejected her. she doesn't hold any grudges, she still loves him, but now only as a friend. why did he have to confess when she was already in love with someone else? why didn't he gain feelings for her back then? everything would've been fine if he did. maybe both of them wouldn't suffer the pain of getting rejected if he did. 

     just why now?

     "i-- reiner... since when?" she finally asked quietly, looking down on the sand after getting back her voice. y/n heard him sigh deeply, silent as he takes his time in answering.

     "honestly," reiner mumbled, "i don't know. it just happened, maybe? i just woke up and said 'i like y/n'. that was when i found out that you no longer had any feelings for me after seeing that picture." he chuckled softly, sad eyes trained on the ocean in front of him. "but it's too late now, huh? even when that 'aaron' guy is no longer with you, i know you no longer like me." he hummed out, voice laced with pain and sorrow.

     y/n bit her lip and finally had the courage to face the blond, only to gape at the sight of him looking down on the sand with closed eyes. "damn, i'm really stupid for thinking i still have a chance when it comes to you." he chuckled out before looking at the h/c-haired to flash a forced smile, the corner of his lips straining and his beautiful eyes were shining.

     "i... i'm so sorry reiner. you're my best friend and i care for you a lot." she managed to get out shakily, "i'm just... i'm really not in the mood to be in a relationship right now." she lied, feeling the pang of guilt following after she said that. she didn't want to get him hopeful but she couldn't just tell him that someone else had her heart. it would create more problems and heartbreak.