Chapter 4

The Stark siblings were once again all seated for dinner.

Cautious glances were thrown toward Reyna's new Direwolf, Shyam, especially from Lyrra, whose blue eyes stayed glued to the creature as it slept next to Reyna's chair.

"I want a Direwolf!" Lyanna stated with excitement. Typical Lyanna, always wanting a bit of danger and fun.

"I doubt we could find another one for you, my sweet, now tell me Benjen, Lyanna how were lessons?" The two youngest Starks talked over one another about the houses of Westeros and their words, much to the entertainment of the other siblings.

"Well, I am glad you are taking your lessons seriously for once Lyanna," Rickard stated curtly while sipping his wine.

"Boys, are you all packed?" he further asked Brandon and Eddard, referring to them travelling back to their Foster Houses.

"Yes, I'll be back in a Fortnight for the Tullys visit and the Harrenhal Tourney," Brandon stated with no tone, it was evident to only Reyna that he was upset with the Tullys visit. She couldn't blame him as it meant his marriage to Catelyn Tully was already in the works, even if he may hold some affection for Barbery Ryswell.

It was true that the game for thrones cost more than lives.

She turned her sad look towards that of her father as he poked at his dinner and then towards her mother who sipped on her Crown Ale. Lyrra was beautiful, she had dark, curling hair that was in a northern fashion and her blue sparkling eyes seemed to hide secrets. Reyna mirrored her mother in looks and wit, however, she had her father's prowess with horses and swords as Brandon did. Reyna mused as she looked at her family seated before her, Eddard was smart and capable with a bow, Lyanna was talented even if wild and careless and Benjen was resourceful and helpful.

This pack could survive the toughest of winters and she was determined to keep it that way.

-------------------------------------------------------

"I'll miss you, stay safe you two." Reyna embraced Brandon and Eddard and the rest of the Starks also said their goodbyes. The family waved the two eldest off, before returning back to the Keep.

"Reyna, could we spar please?" Lyanna walked up next to her older sister, trying to win her over with puppy dog eyes.

"Of course, I have nothing better to do with my time." the response caused a wide smile to appear on Lyanna's face.

The two collected their wooden swords and shields from the courtyard and began their dance of strengths.

Once again Reyna analysed every step her sister took, looking for weaknesses in her movements and blocking her hard hits with the wooden shield. Lyanna was good, not like Brandon, who was a great swordsman or like Reyna who had a talent for strategy, but she had a passion that helped keep her persistent.

The girls sparred for what felt like hours, their muscles sore and bruises appearing on their pale skin, Reyna, however, paused as she heard shouts from the gate and her eyes landed on a messenger, bloodied and bruised with a heavy black coat over him. He was from the Night's watch and Reyna deduced from his bloody look that the Wall had trouble that even the Night's Watch was struggling to defeat.

The messenger collapsed as he dismounted and handed a letter to the nearest guard. The guard listened to something the man said and suddenly took off to the Keep, rushing past Reyna.

Reyna threw the wooden gear to the ground and ran after the guard as he rushed into her father's study.

"My Lord there is trouble at the Wall!" The guard exclaimed as Rickard took the letter. He scanned it and got up in a hurry.

"Get my council in the hall, now!' He shouted with a worried look.

"Father what is wrong?" Reyna stepped into the light of the office. Rickard's expression softened as he turned to his daughter.

"The Freefolk attacked the wall, they weren't strong enough to get in, but they killed some men of the Night's watch..." He reported to his daughter.

"May I sit on the council father? I may be able to help?" The question came out soft, Reyna scared her father may reject the idea or laugh. However, Rickard threw an arm over her shoulders and gave a smile.

"Of course, I think that is an excellent idea." Reyna beamed as she followed her father to the great hall, where the Winterfell Maester, Sir Barrick who was head of guards and Sir Granger, who oversaw the Borders.

"Glad you are all here, Now let's drop the formalities and get down to business." Her father had an authoritative voice as he spoke and all those present sat down and waited for him to speak again.

"The King-behind-the Wall led an attack on the Night's watch, however, he was unsuccessful and he retreated. He killed some good men and I will not let that go unpunished." Rickard slammed his fist down on the table and Reyna watched all the men carefully.

Maester Luwin sat with his hands hidden in his sleeves and quietly watched the other men, While Sir Barrick and Sir Granger instantly started talking over one another.

Reyna couldn't make out what they were shouting.

"Both of you be silent, we are a council, not squabbling ravens, Maester Luwin, speak your mind." The Maester looked towards Reyna and Rickard as he spoke.

"The King of the Freefolk is trying to make it through the wall, yet he has not gained enough support. We need to focus on building our army and training them. It is in our best interests to send a company of men in order to subdue the next fight while we attended to matters here at Winterfell." Reyna knew he meant the betrothals, that way more soldiers would be disposable for the fights.

The other men nodded and it was agreed to send more men to The Wall and then schedule more patrols.

Now The Tullys and Baratheons just needed to be dealt with.