c h a p t e r. 29

Start from the beginning

But, before she could even reply, they were, unfortunately, interrupted.

"Oh-mah-gaud, Potato Queen," Gus panted, knees on his hands as he stopped in front of them. The couple's free period just began but the goof was supposed to be in calculus. "My teacher just tried to give me a test."

Tragic.

Bar didn't say anything-- although he was a tad disappointed that he didn't get a kiss-- and watched the scene unfold, used to such bullshittery.

"Uh," Clementine hesitated as she, however, was not used to situations like this. "I'm sorry but I, I think they're supposed t-to do that?"

"I know!" Gus cried out, earning a look from one of the only other students lingering in the halls, the rest scurrying off to class as soon a the bell rang. "The audacity!"

"So um, that's why you're h-here?" Clementine questioned, head turned slightly to the side as she clutched onto the back of Bar's shirt tighter. "Are you okay?"

"Pfft, yeah, I'm fine," Gus was still panting and Bar itched to pull his best friend's inhaler out from his bag and force the goof to breathe but refrained, knowing that he'd be fine without it. "And I'm here because Mr. Giblan tried-- and failed-- to give me a test. You're are better than tests and AJ's has gym. Gym is worse than tests. Ya see?"

"You couldn't find Fen... And your teacher tried to, to do his job a-and then what?" Clementine looked so confused.

"Then I ran here as fast as my asthma ridden ass could!"

"Can y-you breathe okay?"

"Peachy keen, Potato Queen. Heh, that rhymes."

"Okay, good." The little goddess pulled away from Bar, leaving him feeling cold, and pointed in the direction of the library. "We have to do our beh-behavioral report, so we should get moving."

"Oo," Gus grinned. "I'll tag along with you and daddy."

"Don't fucking call me that."

"Okay, papi."

"That's daddy in Spanish, dumbass."

"My ass is very smart, thank you very much."

"De nada, pinche capulo," Bar's slight accent slipped out, as it always did when he spoke Spanish.

"It's 'da noodles', simpleton," Gus, quite falsely, corrected. "Jeez, show a little respect for the Spanish-speaking people."

"I am a Spanish-speaking person, pendejo," Bar grumbled out as the trio began to walk towards the library, his hand linked with Clementine as the goddess herself watched as they bickered. "I'm literally half Latino."

"I thought you were Italian," Gus scrunched up his nose, spinning wildly in a circle before facing Bar again.

The brute knew then, at that moment, that Gus forgot to take his ADHD medicine again.

Or maybe took a little too much.

"I am Italian," Bar sighed, knowing Gus knew that already. "That's the other half."

"Oo, call me a dog in Spanish!"

"Puta."

Gus gasped, "Rude! I was looking for the word puppies. Y'know, small dogs?"

"Pequeño puta."

He should've seen that one coming.

"Double rude!" Gus yelled out, only to be shushed by the Librarian as they made it through the library's doors. "Oops, sorry quiet lady and her books." Then he turned to clementine. "Control your man, Queenie, he's hurting my feeling."