# 0 0 4 ⦋ Conflict of Interest ⦌

2016

word count 1934

Sumie looked at me. "Sorry about that. I wasn't really listening to the conversation but if she said anything strange, we all apologize on her behalf. She arrived back from traveling only yesterday morning and she's been sort of...adrift." 

   Who the heck travels in the middle of the week? 

    "I swear," Sumie continued with a sigh. "The first thing she did was call me to head over to the festival. No jet-lag whatsoever. Or she was on autopilot mode."

    "No way, dude! What do you mean by that? She's fun," I retorted, waiting for Mirélle to appear behind the glass window. "It's happened before, the whole head-bumping thing when bowing at the same time, so it's nothing to apologize for!"

   I'm actually having a great time. And it's been too long since I've had this much fun.

    "Huh? What are you insinuating?" Norio muttered, his face suddenly blocking my view. "You're all...doe-eyed, like some sort of love-struck tween."

    "Doe-eyed?" I questioned, wondering if I appeared as infatuated as he said. "I'm not trying to force anything, man. She's been sweet and she laughs at all my jokes..." Norio was about to respond but I spoke again before he could, directing my gaze to Sumie. "How come she can speak Japanese so well? Accent aside."

    "Biracial." She answered. "Her father's Japanese and her mother's French. She was born and raised here but goes to France every once in a while, then comes back, all Frenched-up. So, if one day she randomly kisses you on the cheeks, just know that she's greeting you...nothing more, all right?" She cut her laughter short.

   Jin sighed, as though with longing. "I missed her. It feels like something's missing when she's not here."

    "Of course you would say that." Sumie shrugged.

   His tone was accusing when he responded. "I'm surprised you wouldn't."

    "How long have you known her?" I asked Jin, raising my voice. "You never introduced her to me. You really should have!"

    "This is why," Sumie answered, gesturing to all of me. "Everyone we introduce to her, they end up acting how you are acting right now, and she doesn't like attention from guys she's not interested in. We are the ones that need to clean up the mess. Merde..."

   Sumie speaks French, too?

   Shouldn't be a surprise, given her last name.

    "She seemed interested, though," I replied, rubbing my face. "We were flirting a ton just now, in case you missed it!"

    "That's what they all say." Huffed Sumie. "You should learn the difference between being nice and flirting."

    "I think I know the difference, contrary to popular belief. I'm not as dumb as I look, you know!"

    "Think you have a chance with her then?" Norio smirked as if he knew otherwise.

   I scoffed. "Yeah! I don't really see why not!"

   Sumie hummed. "I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but you don't. Not really, anyway. She doesn't ...'date' anyone. You're better off asking out someone more available..."

    "I'm just picking up on her hints," I directed my attention to Jin, hoping to find some sort of aid. "She kind of made the first move last night, y'know. Besides, what would a girl like that want with someone like me? I don't want to be 'that' guy,"—like Kaneki—"So I'm not saying something that's entirely far-fetched from what I've seen. I won't know until I try!"