# 0 0 1 ⦋ Excuses ⦌

2015

word count 2014

The music festival that I had been part of organizing finally happened. It was one of the best distractions I had – or so I thought.

   It wasn't enough to keep the demons away; to keep the melancholic thoughts of my 'missing' best friend away. Despite the fact that I was supposed to be enjoying myself, talking to people, hitting up hot girls, and maybe even scoring a date or two (heh, I wished), I passed the majority of my time alone. After all, I had spent three weeks straight with the festival committee, and if I were being honest, I just wanted a break from their ugly mugs.

   And simply being around Nishiki for that long gave me sleep terrors.

   Night was about to fall and there were still so many acts that evening; if I were lucky, it would end at exactly nine thirty P.M and I'd finally be able to go home and have a good night's rest. 

   I smiled and nodded at every person who called out to me as I walked through the crowd farthest away from the stage, waving at the cute girls that beamed at me.

   Still...still...

   I'll go back to normal and mingle. Just gotta give myself a few minutes. Maybe get a girlfriend tonight?

   I missed him too much, and I wished he were here.

   In all honesty, he would have had an awesome time at the concert. He would have stood on the sidelines with me (or alone as I danced with others and made friends in the crowd), stared at the pretty girls that passed by us, listened to my jokes about him staring at them and not actually doing anything about it, rolled his eyes at my remarks, listened to the music, reveled in the atmosphere...

   This may not be the type of thing Kaneki does often, but he would definitely like it. For the first five minutes. Then he'd get bored and go home to read a book.

   Pulling out my phone, I checked to see if I had received any new messages from him, only to be greeted by an alert-less inbox. Me and clingy went along like pencil and paper; I just hoped he'd reply to my hills and mountains of unlimited messages soon, even though a part of me knew that he wouldn't...

    "Excuse me,"

   I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around to see one of the pretty girls glancing at me. And if I were being honest, she was damn hot – I mean, beautiful, of course. I wasn't checking her out. Not her luscious thighs in that short dress or the curve of her waist...

   Ah, definitely, not hot.

   Shaking my head to release myself from the trance that I was in, I cleared my throat. "Yes?" I questioned with a wide smile. I had never seen her around campus, except for the one time she stole my gaze in the lunchroom with a girl I was barely familiar with.

   She must be from a different department...fine arts?

   The thought didn't feel right. There was a certain sharpness to her.

    "O-oh, hello," she gave a short bow as she smiled, the flower thing on her head almost falling off her brown hair.

   Huh, how endearing. Maybe I should ask her out?

   I bowed and greeted her in return, taking notice of her bare feet and her bright summer dress. Her skin was a lot darker than mine – maybe a lot of tanning trips? – and pigmented freckles dotted her face, scattering down to her arms. I couldn't tell what the colors of her eyes were in the dim light around us.