# 0 2 2 ⦋ Stemming Attractions ⦌

2018

word count 2512

Sometimes, I wished that Mirélle was shorter than me. Not too much; just a bit, so that she reached my chest in a cute manner and I could rest my chin on the top of her head, or put my arm up on her shoulder — mostly to tease her, if not actually lean on her.

   The only times she appeared to be shorter was when she was sitting beside me: last weekend on the beach, on the bench at the festival, on my bed in the morning, and in the Jeep, sleeping on my shoulder.

   Whatever. She didn't have to stand on her toes and I didn't have to bend my knees. We're in perfect kissing and hugging height, so that's a plus!

   I'm becoming worse than Kaneki. Why am I suddenly daydreaming so much?

   Ah, it's all just a distraction!

   All in all, I was glad that she was getting more rest since she must've only slept for ten to fifteen minutes at my place. She probably also got home late the night before, what with taking care of the festival and all.

   I really wanted her to sleep on my chest, but I guess my shoulder will do for now.

   Jin was driving up a narrow road at a reasonable pace; it was almost ten A.M and the weather was a mix of the glaring sun and a cool breeze.

   They were still talking amongst each other and I added my two cents in from time to time, hoping that I wasn't too loud or I accidentally moved too much. Sumie's phone played music through the Bluetooth speakers, so even when the conversation faded out, it wasn't entirely dead quiet.

   Mirélle stirred as her fingers faintly loosened around my wrist, and the thought of the other couple came to mind. Hearing the profound aura of silence from the two of them tempted me to look back — which I ended up doing. Each was looking out the window; their hands entwined at the center of the backseat.

    "Maki, Hanachan! How many times have you gone on this trip?" I nearly cringed when they looked at me; they didn't glare but they didn't seem too happy either, what with Hana looking like she was just done crying. Is this what Mirélle meant?

   Maki grunted. "This is our third time. We always go to this place, the same chalet every time. I don't really see a point to it; we could just easily chill at Uchi's, Fujisaki's or Harada's place."

    "That's true," Hana agreed, hoping to feel better as she faked a smile. "The chalets are nice; there is a private onsen, but ultimately...going to Miri's place seems more ideal. Harada's apartment is also nice, but her house is bigger; she has everything we would need, and the same goes for Fujisaki. But everyone likes the houses at the top of the mountain and now, it's almost becoming a tradition."

   Shrugging, Maki continued after her, also looking as if he wanted things to settle down between them. "Yeah. Either next weekend or the one after, we'd pitch it to Uchi and see if she's all right with a hangout at her place."

   With a sigh, I lightly pressed on Miri's hand. "I wish I was included in these earlier. It's just the beginning for me!"

    "Then I hope it's a good experience," said Maki with a wink before looking out the window again. "All things considered."

   Hana gave out a little laugh, and I was a witness to their short exchange of glances. A part of me was glad that they somewhat made up, while another part of me worried about the girl's well-being.