# 0 1 4 ⦋ My Girl ⦌

2018

word count 2974

"Where are you taking me?" she laughed, hesitating to enter the pathway that I was already in. "Are you planning something? Are you a Ghoul?"

   "C'mon," I eyed her. "Would a Ghoul have scarfed down all that food? Besides...you can't just ask someone if they're a Ghoul and expect an honest answer."

    "There can be honest Ghouls..."

   My mind traveled back to the ORC and Cain, how he played Kiyama, Sankou and I like little fiddles. Shaking my head, I grabbed on to the ladder in front of me. "I'd like to meet this ethical Ghoul that you speak of. Anyway, let's watch the sunset before it's too late!"

   She followed me up the ladder on the side of the building, asking, "Is this allowed?"

    "I don't know," I grinned, looking at her below me. "But does it matter?"

   Still, the sunset had upset her. There was something about it that reminded her of a bad situation.

    "Just think back to this moment instead," I said to her. "Whatever happened before during a sunset that gave you those bad memories, replace it with this memory! Unless this memory sucks just as much."

   She laughed, covering up her face, "It doesn't. Thank you for...seeing me today. I didn't think you'd be free."

    "Always free for you! Except when I'm a bit too busy."

    "I'd understand," she smiled sweetly, turning to look at the setting sun once again.

   A hefty sensation repeatedly dropped and elevated off of my chest, rising and falling continuously to the surface of my skin. The nostalgia of the feelings from last weekend came rushing in and pounced on me when suddenly, it seemed that my shoulder blades had shifted; the weight was lifted as I let myself sigh out my worries, up, on that rooftop with the girl I had a crush on.

   The wind brushed my cheeks at almost the same moment she did. "Eh? You're..."

    "Huh?" I blinked, noticing a tear fall. "Oh, dust must've triggered my allergies again. Dammit!"

   Even though I was laughing, she saw right through it. Just like the first time.

    "What is it?"

   I gave in. "I worry about him sometimes, you know. He's someone I've known since elementary. I would really do anything to help."

   She didn't say anything for a while and only looked at my embarrassing, wet state.

   Ah jeez. Snot everywhere. 

   Stop.

    "I want to help, too," she then muttered. "I want to help you, help him. Let me help."

    "It doesn't even sound like a word anymore," I chuckled, wiping my eyes. "Besides, it might be dangerous. I don't want to put you in any danger either."

    "So what? If I could help, then it's better that I do, right? What good is a friend when they can, but don't? So, I'll help," she said firmly. "And we'll find him. And if he needs help, then we'll help him, too."

    "You don't need to get involved," I'd said that, but wasn't sure if I meant it.

   We all need help sometimes...