55 - long way to go •

↤↤↤↤↤ ↤↤↤↤↤ ↦↦↦↦↦ ↦↦↦↦↦

When all of the other packs leave Hemlock to their fate, Joonmyeon stays on his knees and lifts his head up to the ceiling with tears still falling down rapidly in streaks.

"Jongin!" A girl with long black hair runs over and cups his cheeks. His eyes are closed and tears are running down his face.

"I'm sorry, Jennie," he hiccups and bows his head lower. "I'm such an ass, I can't believe how stupid I've been. You're more important than all this." His eyes open a fraction to stare into hers before they flick over to his Alpha.

He looks completely broken.

"Yifan..." he whispers and the wolf appears next to him.

"Yes, Alpha?"

"I'm stepping down, I want you to take my place. I'm a fool." He bows before the other wolf and Yifan's eyes widen.

"It was how most of us were raised..." he trails off, knowing that it's no excuse. "Joonmyeon, I can't take your place–," he's cut off.

"You've filled my position before while I had to travel, you're a good leader. You have the Moon Goddesses approval as well, so please." He stands up and stares at Yifan, rubbing the tears away.

"Alright," he sighs, "I accept, until you've proven yourself worthy and regain your gift, I will take your position." Joonmyeon reluctantly nods and turns to leave.

"Where are you going, A–Joonmyeon?" Minseok questions, alarmed.

"I'm going to travel and try and interact with other packs. They're so many types of wolves out of our jurisdiction... who knows, maybe they'll need us when we're worthy of doing our jobs." Tyranny is rare in packs but not unheard of.

"I'm coming with you, Luhan can take my spot." He's determined to join Joonmyeon and wanting to change. He feels guilty for hurting so many wolves and Seokjin's mate.

Luhan looks startled when he hears his name.

Minseok continues, "he's already proven himself many times."

Joonmyeon eventually relents and nods for Minseok to join. "Alright, Hyung." And then they're gone.

"What will we do?" Jongdae's mate (a swift wolf) asks, their baby wrapped up safely in her arms. Jongdae was never the type to want to hurt others but he followed commands. He never questioned his Alpha or Beta.

Jongdae looks to Yifan who is talking to Chanyeol. He looks like a sad puppy. "I have to apologize," he keeps repeating, playing with his fingers.

"Let's visit your family, I know you've been wanting to go." Her face lights up and Jongdae's heart flutters.

"What am I going to do?! I helped kidnap them!" Baekhyun panics. "How do I prove myself when I've done that?" Sehun tries to comfort him but all of them are guilty and should be feeling all this.

"Where's Tao?" Luhan asks them and Sehun is the only one who can answer. "I saw him go up to the roof..." Their eyes widen and they leave Baekhyun to panic alone before Chanyeol and Yixing sit beside him, taking Sehun's place.

They make it to the roof to see Tao standing on the ledge. He stares at their panicked expressions with confusion before he understands and waves his hands.

"This isn't what you think!" He tries to defend and his foot slips as he turns. Luhan catches him with his telekinesis. He holds onto Luhan when he finds his balance on the ground again, his free hand holds Sehun's arm.

Tao's knees give out and they gently slide to the ground while Tao breathes heavily for a while.

"What do you think Joonmyeon saw?" We're all quiet for a moment.

Sehun answers, "I don't think we want to know."

We sit on the roof for a long time.

"We have a long way to go," Luhan mutters.

↤↤↤↤↤ ↤↤↤↤↤ ↦↦↦↦↦ ↦↦↦↦↦