"Here to pick you up, My Lady." Robert McKinley's Patronus said, startling Hermione out of her daze.

"Oh, yes, of course. I'll be right down."

With a sharp nod the dragon disappeared in a thin silvery smoke. Hermione took a deep breath and threw a shawl over her shoulders. Then she took her small pearly white bag and put on a pair of white high heels and disappeared.

***

Everybody was speaking animatedly, each having a drink, either lounging on sofas or standing near the tall windows of the ballroom. Narcissa Malfoy walked amongst her guests, making sure everyone was having a good time.

"Purebloods never forget their ways, do they?" Ron said with a grimace, after Narcissa just left them to greet a Ministry official.

"Ron!" Ginny admonished. "You can't be rude to her today. She is our host."

"Host or no host, that's my opinion." Ron huffed, taking down another shot of firewiskey.

Lavender made a grimace seeing Ron gulping down his drink.

"You should take it slowly, mate, or you'll be drunk by the time..." Harry stopped midsentence. "Blimey" he said aghast "is that Hermione?"

They all turned to look at the entrance. There stood Hermione Granger, her hand resting on the crook of Robert McKinley's arm. She looked positively radiant, her cheeks flushed slightly and a nervous smile on her lips. She soon saw her friends and guided McKinley towards them.

"Hermione, you look gorgeous!" Ginny exclaimed, hurrying to hug her friend.

"Thanks Ginny." Hermione said with a bashful smile.

"It's good to see you McKinley." Harry intervened, stretching his hand towards Hermione's partner.

McKinley shot him a wide smile and shook his hand vigorously. To everybody who saw him, he looked positively exuberant. His Highlander costume fitted him perfectly. The jacket highlighted his broad shoulders and wide chest all the while showing a slender waistline. At first, Hermione had been shocked to see his knee-length kilt, but she soon had to decide that it looked quite good on him, revealing nicely toned leg muscles.

"Hermione." Harry said suddenly, pulling her slightly farther away from the rest. "I've been meaning to ask you something." He said in a quiet voice, looking around nervously.

"Sure. What is it about?" Hermione asked him, eyes slightly wide in surprise. It wasn't like Harry to act so secretively in front of his friends.

"Have you ever heard the name Pyrites before? Perhaps in one of the books you've read?" He watched her attentively.

Hermione thought for a moment, then just when she was about to shake her head, she remembered.

"Actually" She said with a gasp. "I haven't heard it before, until recently. I saw a book written by an Argus Pyrites. Beautiful book, it looked like it was made out of gold and..."

"Where did you see this book, Hermione?" Harry asked suddenly, interrupting her rambles. His tone sounded serious and agitated.

"At work. In Robert McKinley's office." She said, even more surprised at Harry's reaction.

He frowned and fell deep in concentration. After a moment, he went back to Ginny's side but continued to look serious. Surely there had to be another explanation for this. After all, McKinley and Pyrites didn't share the name, so they couldn't be related, right?

Soon, the dancing began. McKinley made a slight bow and held out his arm in front of Hermione, who blushed furiously.

"Would you care to dance, My Lady?" he asked, shooting her a glowing smile.

Hermione simply nodded, giving him a smile in return. He saw her cheeks going bright pink and he chuckled. They started swaying in the rhythm of the music, moving slowly across the dancefloor. Hermione's dress rippled along her feet at every turn.

"I am very happy for this ball." McKinley suddenly said.

"Oh?" Hermione said taken aback.

"Yes. After all, it allows me to see you like this." he said, leaning back and grinning at her.

"But you see me almost every other day at work." Hermione protested, trying to hide the blush that crept on her cheeks. She was really bad with compliments.

"This is a rather special occasion. You'll see." He said mysteriously, laughing merrily and spinning her around.

When the first dance was over, McKinley held her for a second one. When that was over as well and a third dance was starting, they were interrupted by someone.

"Mind if I cut in?" A deep voice said right behind Hermione.

It was a voice she both dreaded and long waited to hear. When it washed over her, Hermione felt a shiver going down her spine and goosebumps appeared on her arms. In one fluid motion she turned around and found herself face to face with Draco Malfoy.

Thank you all for reading this story! And now, let the drama unfold ;) Stay tuned for the next chapters. Until then, have a wonderful day! ^_^ <333
And bellow there's a cute representation of Draco's jealousy XD Would have gone better at the first ball, but this will have to do.