Eleven | Roman

Can I say that I love someone after knowing them for seven days? I feel like I can't think like that. Maybe it's different if it's your soulmate. Virgil's my soulmate. I've known him for one week. And I love him. Or maybe I just have the really strong sense that I'm going to love him.

"Hey," he mumbles, frowning.

"Hm?"

"You stopped."

"Oh," I laugh. "Sorry I was just thinking." I resume running my fingers through Virgil's hair and he sighs in contentment.

"What about?" He mumbles, eyes closed again.

"Hm nothing really."

"Oh come on Princey, what were you thinking about?" He persists, smiling at me softly.

"My soulmate," I answer truthfully. His smile drops and a quiet 'oh' leaves his lips. He pulls a little bit away from me. "What's wrong?" I ask, frowning.

"Nothing."

"Oh come on Virgil," I say, repeating his words from earlier with a small smile. He does not smile back, just sighs then mumbles a response. "What was that Virge?" He sighs again, sitting up, legs dangling off the bed now.

"I don't know. This just feels wrong."

"What feels wrong?" I ask, moving to sit beside him.

"This..." he mumbles. "You should probably go."

"What? Virgil, I'm so sorry. What did I do?" I say frantically, trying to figure out what I did to upset him. I try to think back, but honestly I have no idea.

"You didn't do anything," he groans. "Just...I feel bad, like a bad person because of you." I wait for him to elaborate, but he doesn't say anything else.

"I make you feel bad?"

"No! No that's not-!" He lets out a huff of air. "That's not what I meant Princey. You don't make me feel bad. I- when we're-" He groans again. "I don't know how to word it. But it's not your fault." He stares at his glowing ring. "It's mine."

"Hey," I mumble, placing my hand on his face, making him look up at me. Both of us have tear-filled eyes. "Whatever it is, let me help you. I want to help you." He's still for a few moments before tearing his head away, quickly drying his tears.

"No." I let a few of my own tears fall.

"Do you really want me to leave?" I ask quietly. He hesitates, but nods his head yes.

"Okay." I slowly stand from the bed. I want to look back at him, but I don't want him to see the tears rapidly falling from my eyes. I stand still for a minute, hand on the doorknob, but not moving. I hear him sniffle and there's a pain in my heart. I spare a glance at my ring. I don't know if it's cheating, but I want to know exactly what he's feeling. The ring's basically a rainbow. Red, orange, light blue, blue, and black. Anger or frustration (probably frustration), anxiousness, guilt, sadness, and pain. The light blue confuses me. Why does he feel guilty? I wipe the tears from my face.

"Stormcloud I can't just leave when you're upset like this." I turn to look at him.

"Ro please." He says, tears flowing freely.

"No. Virgil I'm sorry, but you're upset. It would be so, so wrong to leave you alone." He wipes his tears, but they don't stop.

"I'm so sorry!" He says, hiccuping between words. I walk towards him, kneeling in front of the bed.

"Hey, none of that. You have nothing to apologize for my chemically imbalanced romance." He smiles at the nickname, but it falls quickly.

"Yes I do."

"Like what, Virge?" He takes a deep breath, playing with his ring.

"I-I when I'm with you I feel so happy." He frowns. "I haven't felt happy in so long, but you-" he looks down to me. "you make me happy." I reach out to hug him, but stop when he shakes his head. "No! No because it shouldn't be you! It-it shouldn't be you..."

"Why not?" His eyes widen a little.

"B-because...I-I have my soulmate and you have yours." I sigh, upset that I can't just tell him. It would be so much simpler.

"Virgil do you like hanging out with Patton?" He tilts his head in his puppy-dog-like way.

"Yes...?"

"Okay and you like hugging Patton?"

"Yes...what does this have to do with anything?" He was still wiping away stray tears from his face.

"So being with Patton makes you happy?" He nods his head. "So why can't you feel happy with me?"

"Because it's different with you Ro! I don't like Patton like I like you..." My eyes widen a little. I know we're soulmates, but hearing him say he likes me makes me extremely happy, even in such a sad situation. "I'm sorry." He starts crying again. "I'm so sorry."

"Please don't cry Virgil. It's okay." He sniffles.

"You should hate me." I cup his face in my hands, wiping away his tears with my thumbs.

"I could never." He puts his hands on top of mine and I interlace our fingers. I kiss his forehead and a small smile adorns his features for a millisecond.

"B-but your soulmate." He says, another tear falling. I sigh.

"Don't worry about that Virge."

We stay in that moment for a long while. Foreheads pressed together. Eyes closed. One hand on his face. One hand holding his. Tears still falling from us both. It's a sad moment, both of us feeling a plethora of emotions - most of which being negative, but holding him just feels so right. It's hard to complain about it.

943 Words

I don't like this chapter but oh well 🤠
Thank you for your comments and votes! Reading the comments makes me so happy 🥺