Fourteen | Virgil

"You okay Virgil?" Patton asks me.

"Yeah I'm okay. Just had a little bit of a panic attack is all. Nothing serious."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"No. I think I'm going to be okay." I smile, thinking of the kisses that Roman and I shared just moments ago. "I really do."

"That's good Virge." Patton gets a big smile on his face. "So you and Roman finally kissed," I push his shoulder playfully.

"Shut up." He giggles and I watch as Logan smiles at the sound of Patton's laughter. They're perfect for each other. The universe definitely got these two right. "We have half an hour until the show."

"Let's go get fro-yo!" Patton exclaims. Logan gets a fond smile on his face.

"Okay darling, frozen yogurt it is." Patton smiles up at him, taking Logan's hand.

"Come on Virgil! The place isn't far." I follow them through the park and we eventually get to a place called Sweet Tooth. Patton giggles in excitement as Logan opens the door for us. He leads me back to all the flavors. "I'm getting cookie cake." Patton says cheerily.

"What's that?"

"It's a mix between cake batter and cookies and cream! It's my favorite one that they have!" He smiles at me.

I look at all the flavors and decide on strawberry, Roman's favorite. I try not to dwell on the reasoning behind that decision. Logan gets a flavor called Logan's Berry and I think it was only for the name.

"There are a lot of toppings to choose from!" Patton says, smiling at me. I nod.

The toppings are separated by candy and fruit. I put bananas, whipped cream, and hot fudge on top of mine. Patton puts a little of all of the candies and Logan puts a few different fruits on his, mostly blueberries and strawberries.

Logan pays for our treats and we walk back to the stage, talking, laughing, and eating our frozen yogurt. We're all finished by the time the show is starting. I'm really excited to see Roman perform. The director (their name is Joan) came out and introduced the show and now Roman's on stage.

It's going by fairly quickly. So far Roman's show is amazing! He plays a character called Justin. It's kind of sad to think about because it's based on a true story. I'm not a fan of the character Naomi.

Watching Roman on stage is a spectacular thing. He looks like he lives to be up there performing. Roman wants to be a star on Broadway when he gets older and watching him here I just know he can do it. He's going to be amazing.

"Naomi~? What the heck did you...do~?" Roman finishes singing the last line and everyone starts clapping. Roman gets a huge smile on his face. It makes me smile too.

He's so beautiful and looking at him completely in his element just makes him even more pretty. I glance down at my glowing ring. I was nervous to admit it to myself. Soulmates are a big thing and I didn't know Roman that well, but from what I did know I thought he was too good for me. He deserved so much better than me, so I convinced myself that the universe did him justice. I'm starting to think the universe didn't do that. Roman makes me feel so happy, a way I haven't felt in many years. I think of his strong arms that make me feel warm, his welcoming eyes that give me a sense of security, his bright smile that gives me butterflies in my stomach, his personality that seems to compliment mine perfectly. I smile at the realization. It took me way too long to put my own insecurities aside. I wish it hadn't taken so long. Roman figured it out almost a week ago. I think the universe placed Roman in my life for a reason. And I think that reason is for Roman to be my soulmate.

I look up on stage and make eye contact with Roman. My eyes trail from his eyes down to his ring. He follows my line of sight. His ring is glowing. His hands go over his mouth and our eyes meet again. He moves his hands away, his smile now somehow bigger, the crinkles by his eyes showing his obvious happiness. His ring stops glowing exactly a minute later and mine does too. Both rings are now a bright yellow with some pink. Roman meets my eyes again. He looks around, does one final bow, and then jumps off the stage. He's walking, more like running, towards me.

"You figured it out." He says in such a quiet voice.

"No thanks to you." I say back and he laughs.

"You needed to figure it out on your own." I shrug.

"Understandable." I say.

"Virgil?"

"Yeah?" He puts his hands on the sides of my face.

"I love you." He leans down and embraces my lips in a kiss that feels like it goes on forever, but is still over way too soon. He pulls away, dorky grin back on his face.

"I love you too."

866 Words