Chapter Nineteen

Lauren and Winter walked ahead of the rest of the crew a little too quickly considering they were both eagerly awaiting their decision to get all dressed up before they made it to dinner, which was decided not too long beforehand. For once, the smile that was stretched across Winter's lips wasn't going away. She couldn't believe she had someone to do all the fun things with. Of course, she had gotten dressed up plenty of times in her life, but it was always with a servant. It wasn't the same feeling like being with a friend.

As they continued toward the little boutique Lauren promised was the best place she'd ever go to, children ran through every direction, easily keeping Winter's eyes peeled for anything new. She tried to keep up with every twist and turn they made. Needing to understand where everything led to was an understatement. Her escape would rely on the sense of direction she had and right now, she doubted she would get anywhere. First a left as they left Phoenix's house on Shadow Avenue, now after walking straight through Central Lane, the two girls were about to turn right. Glass buildings were everywhere she turned. There were multiple restaurants, most with the same colors, though she wondered if that's where they'd be heading later for dinner.

"Are you excited?" Lauren asked, keeping up with Winter's pace.

Winter couldn't help but wonder what Phoenix was thinking about all of this. Clearly he wouldn't be too happy. His family took her away and now they're going on an adventure. This had to be the last thing he was expecting. She chuckled silently before a couple of taps appeared on her shoulder. Jumping, she was jolted from her thoughts moving away from the source of the touch.

It was Lauren. "Hello? Are you gonna answer me?"

"What? Sorry," Winter replied, failing to realize that she went completely silent for a moment. "I was deep in thought, I suppose."

"I was asking if you were excited."

Her face lit up, making one hundred percent sure that Phoenix's sister knew how overjoyed she was to be involved. "Yes! Of course I'm excited. It will be lots of fun!"

"Good," Lauren said. "Because we just need to make one more left and we'll be there."

Nodding, silence fell upon the two of them again as Winter scanned the area for an opening. It seemed Lauren was too involved in actually getting to the boutique and Phoenix was with the rest of his family too far behind for them to even see. Between the two big buildings sitting on her right, she thought she could easily get out without anyone seeing her. A giant grin formed on her face as she imagined what it would be like to leave Lost Meadow and get back to her brother. Father wouldn't want the two of them to be separated like this, let alone Winter being tortured by Phoenix. She had to get out. Maybe this was her only chance.

With a quick glance toward Lauren, Winter slowly wandered to the right instead of the left. She wanted to run, to get away from this terrible place as fast as she could, but she knew better. No matter how much the need of getting away got to her, running would attract attention. Phoenix would definitely know by then and she'd be stuck in that cold basement. Getting in between the two buildings as she made her way forward almost seemed too easy. Nobody was following her, at least from what she could tell, but she wouldn't dare look back. Almost making it to the next street over, the reflection of each mirror shining brightly, she continued on but it wasn't long until a hand wrapped around her arm. A scream almost left her lips as she was caught unguarded, slightly shivering from the nerves of the chance that it could possibly be Phoenix, but the small friendly voice of Phoenix's sister appeared. "What are you doing?"

"I-uh I just wanted to see the water fountain again," Winter stuttered, hoping that Lauren would believe anything that came out of her mouth.

Lauren raised an eyebrow while pulling Winter gently backward. "Oh, well the water fountain is to the left. You were going the wrong way. Come on, we don't have much time to get ready."

"Ah, you're right! I know that now. My sense of direction is terrible." Winter laughed, taking a few steps back as Lauren let go. Disappointment flew through her mind. Not that she was even close enough to truly escaping, but she may have had it! Without Phoenix being around that could've been her only chance. What else was she going to do?

It didn't take much as the lie slipped easily out of Winter's mouth, but she stared down at the ground, upset as they made their way toward the house. Nothing seemed rocky between the two of them since she was almost caught before they got their hair done, but it still made her nervous.This was the only person she could've called a friend and she messed it up. Would Lauren begin watching her as closely as Phoenix did? Maybe he would be informed of what happened. She hoped that wouldn't be the case.

Aside from the jitters of wondering what might happen when she got back to the cold, dark room after Phoenix's family left, all of them did have a great time while eating dinner. Being able to get to know everyone a little better was fun, especially considering she didn't have to be next to him. A part of her was still a little confused as to why she had to get up and be ready in a fancy dress, but she didn't mind. For once, in a while at least, she felt wanted.

Phoenix was actually nice enough to give her dinner at the restaurant, but she figured he would've anyways. He'd never show the guy he truly is around anyone else. Luckily, Lauren convinced her brother to let Winter walk with her back to the house as the rest of them went together, so at least she had time to try to figure out the next step of her escape plan. Whatever that was.

"I really love your hair. They did a great job," Lauren chirped up, breaking the silence.

Out of instinct, Winter lifted her arm towards the bun she had on the top of her head, a couple of the bobby pins sticking out slightly as her fingers pressed against them. Brown curls hung in front of her eyes before she pushed them behind her ears. "They did, didn't they? I really like it! They did wonderful with yours, too."

Twirling, Lauren showed off her long locks, gaining a few steps ahead of Winter. "Ah, that's nothing. I go there all the time! They know me by now." She laughed. "Looks like we've almost made it back."

That queasiness in Winter's stomach appeared again. Joking wasn't even an option. She didn't want to be around him anymore! It was time she came up with a solid plan, if she could. The girls made a right onto Shadow Avenue, the darkness of the street only causing her more emotional pain when Phoenix's house came into view once again. Stepping closer onto the driveway, Winter immediately stopped. Her legs couldn't carry her any further.

"Winter, you've gone pale, are you okay?" Lauren grabbed her arm and pulled her to the door, Winter's feet dragging every step of the way. "Let's get you some water, you'll be fine then."

Opening her mouth, words wanted to form but none came. Winter's view spun as the dizziness took over, but the knock on the door slowly brought her back to reality. No. She couldn't go back there. Not in the basement. Yet when the door flew open and she was pulled inside, every bit of strength left her. All she wanted was a pillow. Darkness overcame her before she could say a word, leaving her unable to escape what she wanted to only be a dream.