Chapter Nine - Part Two

Her shoulders fell forward. He was right about her mother not knowing even though Winter didn't want to include her, maybe the resolution would be better if she was involved.

Letting a smile form, Winter responded, "That's right. My mother has no idea where I am. She wouldn't be too happy if she found out what's really going on." There was still a tiny sliver of hope that her mother would actually care if she did find out that her daughter was in a jail cell, but at the same time, she knew that she shouldn't wish for that. At least they communicated somewhat and that was about as far as she would get.

The slight pitter patter of rain filled her ears as it hit the walls of the underground area, making its way deep into the cracks. Was it too much to ask for Blake to become afraid and want to give her freedom? Part of her thought it was. Even though she didn't need her mother to get involved, she was becoming impatient.

Finally, after all that time for her to be deep in thought, he chirped up. "Sorry, Princess. Your mother can't save you anymore. Since you are over the age of eighteen, she is no longer responsible for your silly actions." With that, he left the room.

Winter wanted to scream. She wasn't even in the cell for very long, but she already felt as if she was going insane. All that surrounded her were dirt walls and the silver cells. There was no way she could escape anymore. Phoenix was sitting on the bed looking as if he was contemplating the same thing that she was. She knew that it was time to calm down. A solution wouldn't appear if she didn't relax and breathe for a minute.

As she sat on the bed, Winter pushed her hands behind her back, biting her bottom lip as hard as she could to prevent any noise as the chains tightened their hold on her. Slight drops of blood trickled down onto her chin when she realized what she was doing and released the grip she held.

Fumbling with the chains as they clung together, she felt the key hole right underneath her pointer finger. How was she going to do this? There were no keys in her sight. It didn't surprise her that she ended up here. While growing up, she always felt the need to be included in everything just because of how much both of her parents were away or too busy for her. She cherished the moments that she did get with them, especially her father. Although here she was now, stuck in this jail cell with no way of getting out.

A grumble left her lips while she fidgeted with the silver tightened around her wrists, making Phoenix turn. "What are you doing?"

"Nothing, Phoenix. I'm fine."

He laughed. "You don't look like you're okay."

"I said I'm fine. Just leave me alone!"

After those words left her mouth, she immediately knew they were the wrong ones to choose to speak. What if she needed him? He was more advanced with his magic and she just ruined any chance she had of getting his help. It's not like she wanted it anyways, but having no other option and the urge to escape eating away at her slowly, would have left her no other choice.

But why wasn't he using his magic to get out?

Did Blake block it somehow? Or is Phoenix just not figuring it out that he could escape by the magic? He was smarter than that and she knew it; something was definitely stopping him.

Winter exhaled as she brought her arms in front of her and rested them on her lap, peeking through what she could see of the chains. There was a tiny white space that might give her just enough room to possibly pull her hands out. At first, all she could think about was that Blake might have been nice to leave a little bit for her to get out, but she quickly shook her head. He wouldn't do that. Judging by the way he talked to her, helping her was the last thing on his mind.

While the other two had their backs turned, she stretched her arms out as far as she could, making the chains on her wrists sway a little. Her hands moved back before they ran into the front of the chains, stopping her from going any further. She groaned. There had to be another way. For now, it was best to just keep trying to pull her hands out. Maybe if there was a specific way, it would actually work. Once again, she yanked both hands back with no luck in succeeding.

Until another idea hit her.

What if she rotated her hand just a bit to the left?

A smile spread across her face when she thought she had the perfect answer to escaping.

At least it stayed there until her right hand rubbed against the silver chain once again. She couldn't believe it was this difficult. With the way this was going, she was never going to get out of this terrible place and no one would know where she was. Overthinking it wouldn't change a thing though. Still, being stuck here was going to haunt her, waiting for the moment that the door would swing open.

When she realized the direction her hand was facing, to the left with her thumb slightly towards her, she decided to pull her thumb back until it touched the silver. Perfect. Now all she had to do was stretch it just a bit more and she should be able to slip out of one chain. She moved it as far as she could.

Everything stopped. Unsure of what was going to happen next, she shut her eyes and pushed again.

Then, with a loud crack, a searing pain soared through her bones, but all she could do was scream.