Chapter Twelve - Part Two

Was she? It would be the first time she would see her mother, let alone talk to her in quite some time. She didn't know if she was ready for what was to come next, but staying at the hospital forever definitely wouldn't work out. The entire story of how she got where she is now would have to be spilled. Who knows what Mother would do to her when she found out.

Winter had to shake her fears, but she couldn't. She knew this day would come sooner or later and now it was time to explain. The thought of losing the ability to rule as Queen was stuck in her mind. How could she let Father down so easily? He entrusted her to rule one day when he was gone and although she still could right now, that would be the first thing Mother would take away.

"Princess?"

Her body shook as she was taken out of her thoughts, a part of her still wondering if she could do this.

"It's time."

All she could do was nod as she sat up on the bed. Swinging her feet over to the right side, the nurse helped her get up, then Winter left to get changed into her clothes.

By the time she was done, the hospital room she was staying in was already getting cleaned up. She had no choice now. Tiny movements were made as she continued towards the door. With no idea how the rest of this day was going to go, she just wanted to get this over with.

Both doors slid open automatically and she took a few more steps before she was left in the place she called home. Just as she was about to turn around, each one closed behind her. Winter took a breath of the warm air and straightened herself up then continued forward. Soon after moving a little, a hand grabbed her arm and she screamed.

"I told you it wasn't over."

His brown eyes stared back into hers. This couldn't be happening. Even though she knew he wouldn't be gone forever, she wasn't expecting him to be there so soon. What could she do now?

"Did you really think I was going to leave?"

With all of her strength, she pushed and pulled away from him as best she could, but it was no use. He was stronger than her and she knew it. The grip became tighter the more she tried to get away, but she didn't know what else to do. Being stuck with him was the last thing she wanted and it certainly wasn't home.

She kicked as hard as she could with her foot while it made contact with his left leg. His fingers, which were wrapped around her arm, lost a bit of their grip. "Let me go!"

In between taking small breaths, Phoenix responded, "What makes you think I'm going to let you go? You'll just run off and we can't have that. Now, walk. We have somewhere to go."

"Are you crazy? I'm not going anywhere with you."

"Sure you are. It's not like you have anywhere else to go now, do you?

He was right about that, but she wasn't going to leave with him. She had no idea where he was planning on taking her or what they would be doing and she couldn't risk it again. She already did too much for him.

Phoenix pulled on her arm, but she didn't move from her spot. Her feet were planted to the ground. She wasn't going to let him boss her around, but deep down she wasn't sure what to think.

"I said, walk!"

"If you let go of me, maybe I will."

A chuckle slipped from Phoenix's mouth. "I'm not going to do that, but I need you to come with me. Your mother is in trouble."

His voice was sincere, as though he was telling the truth. Winter knew he lied plenty of times before, but something about this one sentence seemed different. If her mother really was in trouble, she needed proof.

"How do you know she's in trouble?"

"Because I saw her. Now, come on!" Phoenix grabbed her hand and ran, making Winter do everything she could just to keep her feet staying upright as she ran with him.

At this point, she hoped Phoenix wasn't lying but there was still a major part of her that couldn't believe him. Although, now she was forced into this and she didn't know how to escape.

What was she getting herself into now?