Chapter Eleven - Part One

The wall built itself back up again after she landed from her jump, sending dirt flying everywhere. The sun shone down as it faced east against the trees, with shadows appearing as she walked, told her that it was late afternoon. She must have been held in that cell for at least a day. Mother never contacted her, aside from when she was first trying to get in the chambers, but Winter wasn't expecting her too anyway. She gave up on her mother caring. It amazed her that she lost her Father and technically Mother too, even though a parent and their child should become closer after losing someone close.

Even still, her father's words rang in her head more often than not since Phoenix could do magic and she couldn't. You might be cursed, Winter. For a moment she sat under the tree, contemplating whether this was really true. Father said them and she didn't have any reason not to believe him, but who could have done it?

It didn't take long for those thoughts to leave and the pain to enter back into her hand. She stretched out the four fingers and tried to move her thumb, but it was completely immobilized. She had to get to the hospital before it was too late. The only one they had was out by the ocean, the place Father always promised to take her, and now this was the way she was finally going to see it.

This certainly wasn't how she intended seeing the ocean, for the first time, to go.

The wind blew her hair in different directions, forcing the dirt to come out of hiding and land on her skin. Not knowing if she was going to be able to make it there in time, she walked forward, kicking the stones in her path. With no one around to attack her anymore, her shoulders fell, loosening the tension as a weight was lifted.

After taking about an hour or two to finally get close to the hospital, a sign in huge blue letters had the words 'Goldenfordge Hospital' written with an arrow pointing to the left. The tall, white building stood in front of her with the sound of the waves crashing against the shore filling her ears. Before going inside, she couldn't help but wander towards the ocean. She needed to see it, even if it was a dumb idea with her aching hand.

Her face lit up at the sight of the beautiful golden sand and the clear, blue waters that filled the space as far ahead as she could see. Winter paced forward, taking her shoes off as she made it to the smooth ground. It was eating at her to get the full experience. She didn't just want it, she needed it. Not being able to do this with her father hurt her heart, but she knew he would be happy if he could see her now.

Taking one step, her toes sunk into the sand like sugar being sprinkled onto her feet. The fresh air filled her nostrils as she continued walking, the light wind brushing her hair back. A pure smile slipped onto her face.

Every thought in her mind vanished. It was a feeling she had never felt before.

It was happiness.

She couldn't describe it even if she wanted to.

As she got closer to the shore, the sand turned wet and the crashing of the waves got louder. A warm feeling flew through her body as the water slid over her feet like it was washing away every little problem she had. One day, she wanted to be able to control water like that, but she still had a lot of learning to do.

And then, the pain and agony of her right hand came back.

It was time to leave.

She sighed. Going away from here was not what she planned to do, but she needed to fix this. At least she was right by the ocean. Maybe she could even see it from the windows in the hospital. She would stay here forever if she could help it.

With one last glance around her, the breeze came through once more as she moved to the top towards her shoes. Doing her best to wipe all the sand from her feet before placing her shoes on, she wondered why no one took her here when she was younger. It was so close to her home, how could she have missed it?

Whatever the reason was, she knows now it was never too late to do anything. Seeing the ocean was the best thing she experienced in a long time. Making her way over to the hospital doors, she paced back and forth on the sidewalk. What if they couldn't fix her thumb? What if she waited too long? Sure, doctors could do anything, but there was always a chance it wouldn't work. She could end up with a broken thumb forever.

 She could end up with a broken thumb forever