Chapter # 6

"This marriage will be toxic for both of us."

I said and got out of the car. I feel so broken, how low he wants me to fall low in my own eyes?

'Not that I have sold myself to him but also made this whole ordeal a damn contract.'

I felt like I was being pricked by the shards of glass that are present in my path, they dug into my skin by each step I take further in my life.

First Eugene accident, then the burden of responsibilities over my shoulder and now I want to liberate myself from this burden by receiving the pain of my inferior act.

'What's wrong if I want to fulfill my wishes?'

Filled with those undesirable thoughts, I went home. Mother came and asked.

"How was it?" her tone lingers with interest, basically it was my first drive and was my first dinner with a man, I can understand her.

I have always avoided relationships and I feel like this loveless marriage falls flat on my face just because I never involved myself in love; So fate decided to give me an unloved life.

I looked at her and forcefully curved my lips upward but not in a smile.

"Fine. He said he wants to marry me as soon as possible." I said.

"So, have you decided?" Mother asked.

"Next Week," I said.

"That's too early." Mother complained just like I did.

"We can't do anything," I replied and went to my room.

The emptiness filled me as I thought of myself as nothing more than a doll- who can't feel anything.

'Well, That's what I am now.'

A plaything to be toyed with, that's what my life will become. I'll be used over and over again...

The next day, I readied up and went to work. I entered the hotel and the senior staff looked at me as if they had seen a ghost.

I narrowed my eyes on them and walked to the reception.

"Ma'am Melissa, what happened? Why are they looking at me like that?" I asked.

"Why are you here, Ma'am?" She said and stood up.

Being perplexed, why did she call me 'Ma'am'? The Manager came and smiled at me. He took me to his office and said,

"Well, Ma'am, If you told us before, we would never treat you as a waitress." He said with a glint of greed.

I raised my eyebrow to show that I am unable to understand this demeanor, I then asked,

"What are you talking about?" He smiled widely. Becoming uncomfortable by his over-friendly reflexes, I asked again,

"I am sorry sir, but could you please tell me what is going on?" I asked in my usual gracious manner.

"You didn't tell us, but your soon-to-be husband did." He said and my heart skipped a beat as I averted my gaze, not wanting to think even for a second about him before marriage.

My thoughts were interrupted when the manager said again, "Congratulations on your wedding." My eyes widened as my mouth gaped.

"How do you?.." My bewildered form asked.

"You don't know about this morning's press conference?" He asked. Before I could answer, the door opened and the Director entered.

I abruptly stood up in his presence. He looked at me and passed me a smile and offered his hand to shake.