10

“Hey.”

“Hey, Sans.” Chara replied with a smile.

“You seem happy today.” He didn’t usually see Chara smile so genuinely.

“Hm? Oh, there’s no reason really. Well, except I’ve baking CHOCOLATE cakes with ASRIEL all morning! Asriel and Sans, my two favorite things both in one!!”

Sans’s face expression changed immediately, feeling the guilt take over his body. “Grillby...” But he didn’t have to finish what he was saying, Grillby had already placed a bottle of ketchup on the countertop in front of him.

“I’m only letting you have up to three today Sans.” Grillby told Sans.

“Three?!”

“I don’t want you to make a fool of yourself in front of the lady.”

“Oh, yeah, the lady…” Sans turned to face Chara again, after having a zip from his ketchup. “Hey, Chara… I was thinking… what if you, uhm, what if you forgot about Asriel? I mean, in that way, you know… Just, be his friend, and, what was it they say…? There’s more fish in the ketchup. You’re cool and pretty, you’ll meet a lot more guys, maybe better than Asriel.”

“Seriously? Why are you saying this, Sans? And it’s fish in the sea, stupid.”

“Uhm… I don’t know, are you sure he’s the right guy for you?” Sans kept feeling guilty and awkward.

“There’s nothing wrong about him, you know that.” She frowned. “What’s up with you? Do you want to get Frisk but don’t want me to get Asriel cause you want to feel better than me? Or do you suddenly like Asriel or something?”

Sans sighed. “No, Chara, you’ve got it all wrong.”

“What is it, then?”

“I know you give two fucks about me, but I actually, kinda, care about you, and I don’t want you to get hurt, got it? I think I might have a chance with Frisk now. But what if I get Frisk but you never win Asriel over?  How would that make you feel?” This was difficult for Sans to say. Chara wasn’t the only one bad with emotions.

“Uhm… I-I…” Chara sighed, clearing her mind. “ugh, maybe I’d hate you a bit at first. Well, a bit more then I already do.” She smiled. “But I guess it’d be fine. It’s also not my problem, you be with whoever you want. Right now, I’m determined to get Asriel to fall for me. Kinda complicated maybe, but I’ll just have to keep going until, or I make it, or I just stop being interested.” She looked down. “So yeah…it’s fine with me if you’re with Frisk. I already said I’m not jealous.”

Sans drank some more ketchup. He felt relieved after hearing all that, but still hurt in some way, without figuring out why. “Okay, sure. Whatever I say isn’t gonna change you, anyway. You always fight for what you want, I guess,… I like that.” He said the last sentence in a flirtatious kind of way.

“Pfff… dumbass.” She rolled her eyes with a slight blush on her face. She always got embarrassed when he tried to flirt with, even though it was obviously in a jokey way.

They kept chatting for almost a couple of hours. They didn’t say it, but they realized how equal as well as opposite they actually were, but that of course didn’t make their feelings for their friends to go away. Sans and Chara had never really stopped to see each other romantically. Sans was too focused on his supposedly perfect girl, just as Chara was too focused on her supposedly perfect guy.

They laughed.

“And when you say you hate me you mean it in an I-love-you kind of way, right?”

“Bye, Sans.”