4 EDGE OF DARKNESS

7.4 CANINE BLUES

After spending most of the day trying to find Tikum in the lush forest of Mount Laon, Amburukay and the Ulayans grew tired. Their long search was uneventful too, except when the Ulayans encountered a very horny tambalolos swinging above the canopy- using its very long appendage to leap from one tree to the next like an eager spider-monkey. As it gracefully leapt, it mocked an agitated and old bungisngis. The lumbering one-eyed giant was laughing as it chased off the tambalolos, but it was clear for all to see that its laughter was hiding its unbound fury towards the creature pestering it. The immense bungisngis (which lacked its foe's speed) had to rearrange the assembly of trees in its way with a swipe of its mallet like fist. Trunks broke like sticks and a boulder or two crumbled like chalk as it gained momentum with every step. Then it laughed harder, eye red with anger as it stalked the simian-like creature up the canopy with dark purpose. The giant scooped rocks with its calloused hand and threw it, but it missed the mischievous tambaloslos. Agility easily overcame strength in this situation.

Amburukay was slightly disappointed when the tambaloslos ran the other way, still tailed by the barreling bungisngis. She would've welcomed a short fight just to distract her from all the frustration she was bearing.

When the sky darkened and night finally came, they decided to do what was sensible and continue the search the next day. Amburukay, weary after trying out a couple of tracer spells to find Tikum, looked for a clearing to settle for the night. She was glad to see that the timawas had already lit a cozy bonfire. Without asking for invitation, she found herself a place near the fire. There was just too much on her mind right that moment for her to bother. The smell of burning wood was soothing for her and the warmth that radiated from the flames wasn't too bad either. Amburukay rubbed the side of her head. She was still worried about Tikum. She didn't know why though. For all she knew, she still hated the man. After all he had done to her, it was not hard to. But she also knew Tikum had a useful talent. Finding Ukok with him and fighting Sri Kihod with the Black Dog gave her an ounce of assurance. A small measure of unpredictability on her favor against a far superior foe...

She dismissed the idea, remembering the slights he made before they became unwilling allies. Did she really need his help? She knew the answer all too well. She was used to doing things all on her own now. If she can't find him tomorrow, then she'll have to do all this without anyone's help. Sacrifices will be made, but all of it would be worth it for Ukok.

Amburukay drew her wak-wak robe closer to fend off the cold night breeze. But then, her mouth watered and a deep growl from her stomach followed. Amburukay craned her neck, smelling the tasty meat roasting on the fire. Its smell was almost intoxicating. She wet her lips as she glanced around her, only to find the captain approach the fire.

"Were you on guard duties?" she said to Ulisong. "This region of Buglas is not safe." Well, not exactly true. The whole of Buglas itself was a dangerous place for those who did not know the lurking perils it held, but she knew she didn't need to elaborate. But the captain ignored the hex-slinger as he sat on a dead stump opposite her. Apparently, he was too busy sharpening his blade with a whetstone to offer her a shadow of hospitality.

She sighed as she took something out from the small pack on the pouch hidden on her sash. Then, the Lady of the Darkest Night offered the betel nut chew to Ulisong. Surprisingly, the captain of the timawas refused her without a word. And a heavy silence settled between them.

Amburukay cleared her throat. "Have you assigned a patrol for the night?"

"And why would I do that?" Ulisong said, acid in his words.