5 A FLEETING SLUMBER

4.5 DOG AWAKE

Si-an Usong pushed herself farther inside the crevice as the minokawa's saber-like claws dug through the space between the boulders for the hundredth time. She checked the gash on her hip, thankfully it stopped bleeding but the pain from it was still excruciating. If only she had Silver Fin with her– but the magical dagger was somewhere out there, lost when the minokawa chased her into this hole. With it, she could have conjured another illusion to distract the predator outside or do any number of things to save herself.

She shook her head. It was the only thing that could change her dire situation, but only if she could wield it again. No. She tried to think of another way. She just can't give up. What would  her Lord Halmista say. Things should not end like this– not in an embarrassing situation. But as seconds pass, no solution came to mind. And only the certain outcome of death was clear. When desperation and doubt weighed Si-an Usong down, she finally tried to cry for help, hoping Tikum or the others could hear her, but she knew it was useless. The only thing that'll stop the race is if she or Tikum could reach and cross the finish line. But she'd been in this hole for a while and it looks like Tikum was either dead or so far off course that the minokawa outside would eventually find a way to move one of the boulders to get to its prize. Another strike from the giant bird's claws sent spark and dust towards Si-an Usong, sending her into a coughing fit. Mouth dry and voice hoarse she screamed at the mystical bird, "You have to work harder than that pea-brain. Want me as dinner, right?"

The minokawa replied by flapping its vast metallic wings, driving a gust of wind through the narrow hole and blowing Si-an Usong back to the cramp corner of the crevice, knocking the air out her chest. "Well, okay," she said, grimacing in pain. "I guess you still have a few tricks. But is that all you got? Come on!"

She expected it to blow her back again but suddenly the minokawa stopped. She waited a few more seconds, listening in and trying her best to anticipate the moon-eater's next plan of action but nothing happened. There was only dead silence pervading in the nook where she hid, making her more nervous with each passing breath. Every move she made echoed inside the hole as the ominous silence continued. She waited and waited but it seemed like somehow the minokawa had forgotten her. Betrayed by her curiosity, she crawled to the opening to take a look.

"What in the hell are you doing!" she said, picking herself up and seeing things unfold before her eyes.

Outside the hole, the minokawa circled Tikum who was armed with what looks to be a spear. What was curious about the scene was not how stupid it looked, which was a given, but by the fact that he didn't cower or ran from the circling creature above him. Tikum just waited in the open, poised to throw his hastily-made weapon.

"Run, idiot!" she cried, but Tikum ignored her. "What the hell are you trying to prove, manling!"

Before Si-an Usong could do anything, the minokawa drove down for the kill– keen talon first. As it plunged down, Tikum drew the spear back.

His face did not betray the fear in his core. This was not the brightest plan. He even doubted if he could call this one that. But he had an inkling about this approach and his instinct about these things were rarely wrong. Rarely. Heart throbbing, bouncing on his chest, he exhaled deeply and threw the spear as straight as he possibly could. It soar through the air arching slightly to the right side of the minokawa. Tikum made a face– it looked like it would miss its mark. The glint of talons made him blink for half a breath. When he opened his eyes, the keen weapon met its target. Only then did the fool Tikum Kadlum rolled away to dodge the falling bulk of the minokawa. It crashed in the heap of dirt behind him, thrashing its wings violently. In its throes, metallic feathers carved and slashed the ground. Then, it cried out and screeched in a most human-like tone  but soon it stopped. And as the dust settled, Tikum stood and approached Si-an Usong. Behind him, the minokawa stayed motionless– its wings were mangled and twisted by the fall and on one of its eye a broken piece of the spear protruded.