5 BEYOND ALL FEAR

8.5 BURIED BONE

With Sri Kihod preoccupied, Tikum dragged himself up, half-limping towards Ukok. He whispered a curse. He was back to his old routine again– body beaten to a pulp with every inch of it bathing in pain. But this time his resolve was on a new high. That, and his stubbornness too. This wasn't exactly the plan but what was he to do? He stared at his missing hand, grimacing at the mess. Definitely not the outcome he was looking for.

They were supposed to make it fast and quick– snatch his daughter before getting hurt. That was all there was to it. Simple and reliable always does it. But reality was always far from what he planned for. He sighed, stopping below the red crystal where Ukok was held. She was so close but things were still out of reach. Tikum spat. Even with two hands he won't be able to get her. He cursed again, this time to himself. He was running out of time. Sri Kihod would soon see what he was up to, and it wouldn't be a cat and mouse chase between them anymore. Not in his current condition.

Aside from all that, the sorcerer-king's earlier spell that barred and held the gadlumanon's at bay was shrinking. And those slavering creatures knew it as well. Tikum whispered another curse. His condition was worsening by the second– soon enough his body would give way. Even at that moment, he couldn't think straight. His ears were buzzing and an awful headache would come and go everytime he made an effort to move. Problem after problem, complications mounting into a mess. Even with Tikum's determination, some things where just obviously unattainable. He was over his limitations. He felt as though his soul was stretched too far and he feared it would snap.

A tear left his eye as he bowed his head and fell down to his knees. How could he be so useless? Why couldn't he think of another way? He felt like screaming but even that he couldn't do. His mouth was dry and his throat was parched. Everything was for nothing. Was that it? He shook his head. So, when all things fell to its final place, this was his fate?

He felt deflated. But a part of him– a small ember of hope inside his heart, told him not to give up. He let his fist go, punching the ground in frustration. At that exact moment, Amburukay grabbed him by the shoulder and lifted him up in the air like an eagle snatching its prey.

"This doesn't mean we're even." The Lady of the Darkest Night gritted her teeth as she flapped her webbed-wings with effort. The scattering of feathers on its broadside were falling and one of the wing's had its tip broken– damaged by her fall earlier but it did not stop her. It would not. "We will still settle things after we help her. We have to save our daughter, Tikum. Just as promised."

He stared at her as they climbed higher in the air, wind blowing at their faces. Amburukay was having a hard time breathing too. Bruised and scratches covered her bare skin and Tikum would guess that there were more wounds all over her transmogrified body concealed by her black feathers. A slight tremor ran through her hands before she adjusted her grip. Even the strongest person he knew was cracking into pieces like him.

Tikum nodded absent-mindedly.
"Just as promised!" he said more to himself than to Amburukay.

Mid-way on their flight, Amburukay's wings started to flap erratically, straining at every feet of elevation they gained. She grunted, trying her best to straighten it, but she could no longer power through. She hissed a curse as pain crossed her face. They won't reach the crystal enclosure. She was too tired and to beaten to fly over it. Her whole body was screaming to a stop too. This was it for her physically. So, she weighed her options in a blink of an eye.

"It's time, Tikum!"

Before Amburukay finished the last word, she boosted Tikum up, throwing him above the red crystal. The momentum of her action pushed her down, sending her plummeting back to the ground and out of Tikum's view. As he reached the highest point of her throw, he felt his blood turn to fire, feeling weightless in the air. He did not expect this. He wasn't exactly prepared for this  But this was his chance. Time to grab it.