"your threats only excite me"

chapter fourteen: your threats only excite me

shortish chapter?? but i wanted to update again !!! :)

WEDNESDAY MORNING. I woke up to my alarm—the one that goes off every day at six-thirty in the morning. I'm meant to be at work by eight-thirty, so I always give myself at least a full hour to get ready—I usually spend twenty or so minutes in bed and twenty or so minutes in traffic. 

As I slowly stretched out, I turned in my bed and finally let my eyes open as I reached over to turn my alarm off. I grabbed my phone and held it in my hands, looking through the very small amount of notifications that I had. 

I suddenly recalled what had happened the night before and I sat up in bed as I started to look around: there was no sign of Luke.

I felt my heart begin to ache as I assumed that he had left without warning. I didn't know why I felt sad that he was gone, but I didn't want to give my sad thoughts any further energy. I opened my messages and started to text Luke, just to check that he had gotten home safe and to make sure I'd see him later.

Just as I hovered my thumb over send, my bedroom door opened and I looked over to see Luke peek his head in.

"Good morning," he whispered, sending me a grin. I quickly deleted the message and threw my phone down. "I brought you coffee."

"Oh—thank you." I smiled as I sat up in my bed and Luke walked over to me, sitting down on the edge of my bed as he handed me a mug.

"Madalyn helped me make it."

"Oh, she's up?" I asked and got a nod in reply.

"I think she's lovely," Luke said before taking a sip of the coffee that he had brought into the room for himself. "I think it's funny how starstruck she seems, but she's really sweet."

"She's the best," I said, smiling as I thought about Madalyn. "I'm glad you like her. You'd love Howie, I think. He's a really great guy."

"I'm excited to meet him," Luke said, smiling just before hiding behind the mug in his hands. "I was thinking I should probably run by my place to change... would you maybe want to get a ride from me to work?" Luke's eyebrows danced as he spoke.

"Don't you think someone will be suspicious when they realize we drove together?" Luke shrugged and smirked to himself.

"Let's just say your car wouldn't start, and you had Luke Hemmings on speed dial," Luke said which caused me to laugh. "No one's going to ask... and I like adding to our mystery."

"I guess we could go in together," I told him, nodding my head. "I'm going to take a quick shower, okay? You can just hang out in here, or go talk to Madalyn?"