"Whatever happened to the Lily that would have had everyone out of here and in bed, with the Marauders sporting nice new pink hair, before you could say 'Happy New Year'?" a voice reminisced from behind Lily, as one of her best friends, Alice "Al" Prewett, came to stand by her side.

"Well I think that Lily started to hang out with a certain hazel-eyed Marauder a bit more, and fell hopelessly in love with him. So in love, that the boy in question need only bat his eyelashes and she would give him whatever she wanted, no matter how many rules she broke," Lily's other best friend, Marlene "Marly" McKinnon, added, joining them to stand on Lily's other side. Alice gasped dramatically in response.

"For shame, Lily! Breaking rules! What would your mother say?" she scolded playfully.

"I suppose she would congratulate me for finally doing something bad, while my sister grumbled in the corner about how even when I'm bad I get praised, and I would laugh at her misfortunes," Lily deadpanned, entirely un amused by her friends teasing. "And I'm not in love with him, Marly; I just like him a tiny bit more than you would an ordinary friend,"

"Yeah, like you like puppies a tiny bit more than Severus Snape," Alice snorted, with Marlene shortly joining in.

"Or like how you like Christmas just a little bit more than Voldemort," Marlene added.

"Shut up," Lily replied, taking a large gulp from her drink.

"Seriously Lily, when are you finally going to tell him you like him? The poor boys been pining after you for years and when you finally realise you like him back you decide it would be better off kept a secret! Why won't you just tell him already?" Alice complained.

"Because, Alice, I don't like him! If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times; we're just friends!" Lily stressed, throwing her hands into the air, unintentionally causing some of her Butterbeer to fly out of her cup, so she warily placed the cup down on the table, and moved over to the empty sofa by the fire. "And anyway, even if I did like him, which I don't, it's hardly like he's still into me. He hasn't asked me out for almost a year, he's over me,"

"Why Lily, do I detect a hint of sadness in your voice?" Marlene teased.

"I don't like him," Lily insisted, but her two friends just shared a look and walked off laughing, leaving Lily sat in front of the fire, groaning at her friends and their behaviour as she started muttering to herself. "Bloody idiots. Think I like him-I obviously don't! When will they get over this? Probably never. Can't believe this is what I have to live with. Stupid, nosy gits. Why can't they mind their own business? Bloody insufferable twats-"

"Talking about us again, Lily Flower?" a cheeky voice asked from behind her. Turning around, Lily found James and Sirius standing behind her, and turned to Sirius to reply to his question.

"For once, no. Marly and Al are being stupid again, so I was just angrily mumbling about how annoying they are in the hope it would soothe my anger but it didn't work," Lily frowned, inwardly wondering how much they heard.

"What were they doing?" James asked, his deep voice a rumble in his throat.

"Just teasing me, being stupid, the usual," Lily tried to act casual, but when she was around James her heart sped up and her palms went all sweaty , and it was made even worse by the fact he might now know she liked him after possibly hearing her friends discussing it. Despite the fact Lily denied it so adamantly to her friends, all three of them knew she really did like him, and she did not want to blow it.

"Well you have to cut them some slack, Flower. Simple minded being such as themselves can't help being so stupid so often," James smirked, staring at something above and behind Lily's head. Turning around, Lily saw Alice and Marlene standing behind her with identical glares, and burst out laughing. Sirius soon joined in, and between Lily's giggles and Sirius' barks of laughter, the two girls eventually gave off reluctant smiles, while James just grinned.