18: Uneventful Halloween

Comincia dall'inizio

As he pulled back she caught Lewis watching them with open curiosity and... She couldn't describe the other emotion. And by the way his eyes flashed she didn't want to know.

"So what have you been doing Amy?"

"Nothing," She answered with a smile. "Nothing at all. What are you doing now?"

"Evie's dirty work and buying her a coffee." He replied glancing at Harri and Lew and offering them a smile. "Can I see you outside for a second?"

Ah, hell. 

"Something wrong?"

Harriet blinked at her brother-in-law's question whilst Amy just wished she could be swallowed by a whale. 

John's smile twitched and he also blinked. "Not anything that is your business."

Amy's mouth opened slightly. What...

"I suppose you're right." Lewis smiled but it didn't reach his eyes.

Obviously she was missing something. And from the look on John's face it seemed he was missing something too. She stood up quickly and took John's hand to lead him outside into the biting cold. 

"What was that about?" Amy glanced back into the shop and back to him.

He shook his head. "I have absolutely no clue."

Odd.

"Anyhow," He squared his large shoulders in his black polo before crossing his arms over his chest. "In what world, Miss. Butler is it polite to sneak out in the morning."

Oh, she knew she was in trouble. But the patronising smile and tilt to his head had her challenging him. "I am sorry and you didn't say anything on Sunday."

"That's because I wanted to talk to you face to face."

"And you waited until Wednesday to do it? How exciting."

He raised a brow and stepped forward. "What's wrong about that?"

They hadn't argued in a while. Well, they hadn't argued since before they were together. "I don't want to argue with you, but it seems that's where it's headed. I left because I had to."

"Without leaving as much as a note?"

"Exactly. Matthew text me. I was in a rush." She lied for the second time in a day.

"Lying doesn't suit you." 

A few glances from the students walking past signalled they were attracting attention. "I've apologised, what do you want me to do, get on my knees beg?"

"If you were to get on your knees for any reason, I wouldn't want you to beg."

She gasped and scowled. "Well, aren't you an asshole."

"Oh, no, Amy don't swear," His large arm wrapped around her waist to pull her body flush against his. "No, whenever you swear it means you're angry. You never swear. It was a joke."

Her nose flared. "It was crude."

"It was a joke."

"You're an idiot."

"It's better than asshole." He smiled. "I accept your apology and I also apologise."

Her palms pressed to his chest. "Good, now let me go."

He pouted. "But I want to kiss you."

"Public affection isn't my thing." She protested.

"A peck will do."